Skip to main content
Topic: Good day on dyno (Read 2625 times) previous topic - next topic

Good day on dyno

Took my car over to Accelerated Performance in Toledo Oh yesterday to do some tuning on their Dynojet to get car ready for its first trip to drag strip this year.

It has a rebuilt 97 Explorer GT40P motor with all stock internals.The heads got a valve spring upgrade but are otherwise untouched, has stock intakes and throttlebody. I put in a TFS stage 1 cam,bolted on some BBK 1-3/4 long tube headers and slapped on a Vortech S trim blower with stock 8lb pulleys as the only engine mods. I am using 38lb injectors and it all runs on a plug n play Microsquirt from EFI Source. Something worth noting is I built the car with a 2.5" Y-pipe going into a SINGLE 3" exhaust from Stinger Performance designed for 2.3t Turbocoupes.

First pull off the street the car only made 322hp/347tq with my own tune but we only seen about 5psi up to about 5000rpm then belt slip dropped it down to 3psi. It obviously peaked at 5000 just before the belt started slipping. The power on the graph dropped off a cliff after 5k.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK9ZlOrciio

We made some adjustments to fuel and timing and threw on my 10lb pulley to see what would happen after about 4 other pulls. This only caused worse belt slip and we only seen 6psi at 5000 then fell off hard after that. It made 344/344
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p76lptC58hU

I took the 10lb pulley off and beadblasted it to give it some teeth which helped for the last few pulls but it still slipped after 5200. Like this we seen 9psi up to 5200 then it slipped to 6psi for rest of the pull. Like this it peaked at 5200 and made 370/393
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92yYQOFKp9M

At this point we called it a day after 10 pulls. Pretty happy with results and I learned some good info. At final power levels my injectors are only at 80% duty cycle so there is still plenty of fuel left to break the 400hp mark. We seen air temps of 200* on every pull and heat correction was pulling total timing down to 16*. I need to move the sensor out of the lower intake and put in discharge tube of the blower for a true{non heat soaked} reading. Then I need to move the air filter out of the engine bay and put inside the fender for cooler air. These mods should help lower the inlet temps and help us dial back in some timing. Then there is the belt slip....Im going to beadblast the lower pulley and bought an adjustable belt tensioner to try next. Tuner thinks if we could get a solid 10psi for the whole pull up to 6000-6200 with lower air temps it should make an easy 420-440 depending on how much timing we can add back in.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Good day on dyno

Reply #1
Nice!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Good day on dyno

Reply #2
Awesome! And to think that I was excited to find a chrome driver's door mirror that looks decent from ten feet away for my '83 Heritage this weekend. Those are great numbers! I'm very interested in seeing how it does at the track.

Good day on dyno

Reply #3
good numbers up until the slip! what trans is that through?
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Good day on dyno

Reply #4
Very Nice numbers and Great Looking car!!!!!!

To give you a little comparison, I did a baseline pull without boost and then with about 9-10 psi on a small Holset H1C T4 22cm Turbine Housing (old generator junk) on my 306 with home ported E7 heads, ARP Studs, stock cam, 1.7 RR, upgraded springs and Cobra intake,ported lower non-intercooled.

NA it made 222/259....I dont remember how much timing, Boosted it made 383/454 around 18-20*. Pulls were made on the same Dynojet a couple of weeks apart and environmental variables were similar around 95*F 10-20% humidity. Peak TQ came in about the same rpm around 4500 and just drops off

All I can say is dont get to greedy on timing.......@ 10 PSI 16-18* is good for inconsistent pump fuel. Keep an eye on your radiator overflow for pushing coolant and the radiator holding pressure after cool down. A little inaudible detonation will lift any of the OEM 5.0L heads at that level regardless of fasteners sooner or later.

Heres my cluster of junk...... I also had issues tunning until I made a condom type airbox out of some large diameter reinforced high temp tubing I had laying around for my filter to pull air from behind the headlight only...... I didnt want to cut the car up just to move the filter.

Again....great job on your car!!!
John

Good day on dyno

Reply #5
Quote from: grutinator;460377
good numbers up until the slip! what trans is that through?
Its a built t5

I might just buy the 8 rib setup and be done with it, if blasting the lower pulley don't help.

Im going to track next weds and Im hoping on the 17s it will run 12.50 or faster and on ET Streets dip in the 11s
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

Good day on dyno

Reply #6
What a fun thread to happen upon today! Sitting here contemplating what to do after I sell my '01 GT Convertible Mustang, and I started doing searches.  I built a few TBirds back in the mid-late 90's and have always thought about maybe building just one more.  I'd love to find a decent '87-88 Sport and go from there since that's what my other cars were.  I STILL love the body lines, although I would like to freshen up the interior a bit.  Anywho...Thanks for sharing your build!  It looks like a lot of fun!  My last '88 Sport was a handful, and I really miss it!  331 Stroker motor motor, 8psi Vortech, T5 conversion and Turbo Coupe 8.8 rear for disc brakes all around.  It wasn't the quickest Fox body around, but it held it's own against all the Mustangs, and was an amazing canyon carver.  All while looking bone stock.
X
X

I feel the itch coming on again...  Some of you old timers might remember my old Geocities pages...The ThunderCoupe Home Page...  Time to go shopping...  :)
The future...

...because life is just too short to drive boring cars...

Good day on dyno

Reply #7
Well I had the blower pulley coated with Carbinite and added a tensioner from Anderson Ford and Im seeing a solid 10psi now and it feels like a monster now. Maybe next week Ill head back to the dyno to confirm its finally over 400 to the wheels.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

Good day on dyno

Reply #8
Quote from: TBirdNutt;460701
What a fun thread to happen upon today! Sitting here contemplating what to do after I sell my '01 GT Convertible Mustang, and I started doing searches.  I built a few TBirds back in the mid-late 90's and have always thought about maybe building just one more.  I'd love to find a decent '87-88 Sport and go from there since that's what my other cars were.  I STILL love the body lines, although I would like to freshen up the interior a bit.  Anywho...Thanks for sharing your build!  It looks like a lot of fun!  My last '88 Sport was a handful, and I really miss it!  331 Stroker motor motor, 8psi Vortech, T5 conversion and Turbo Coupe 8.8 rear for disc brakes all around.  It wasn't the quickest Fox body around, but it held it's own against all the Mustangs, and was an amazing canyon carver.  All while looking bone stock.
X
X

I feel the itch coming on again...  Some of you old timers might remember my old Geocities pages...The ThunderCoupe Home Page...  Time to go shopping...  :)

I got an 88xr7 i would let go pretty cheap... hit me up one of these days and lets talk cars. Im out in grantsville now. The saftey inspections ending next year is gonna be amazing. Ill just pay for registration and pick up my plates starting next year.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Good day on dyno

Reply #9
Those are some impressive numbers! With the belt slip issue solved that thing must be a beast! Wish i could afford a Vortech, i'd be puttin the wood to those pesky 1le camaros, bmw e92s and boss 302s, lol...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Good day on dyno

Reply #10
Quote from: Haystack;460705
I got an 88xr7 i would let go pretty cheap... hit me up one of these days and lets talk cars. Im out in grantsville now. The saftey inspections ending next year is gonna be amazing. Ill just pay for registration and pick up my plates starting next year.
Hey neighbor!  I always love talking shop...not a big fan of the Cougars though, but thanks!...unless you've got a '68 to show me.  lol!
The future...

...because life is just too short to drive boring cars...

Good day on dyno

Reply #11
Shoot me a text if ya need anything. Dont wanna muddy up the thread too much 80188twofiveoneone3
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com