Skip to main content
Topic: Differential pinion shaft lock bolt rounded (Read 1532 times) previous topic - next topic

Differential pinion shaft lock bolt rounded

Had a good look inside my diff while changing the oil to find the spider gears are badly worn and need replacing the only problem is some monkey has total destroyed​ the head of the bolt looks like they have rounded it then put mole grips on it then beaten the living daylights out of it with a chisel it's more oval than round now.any ideas how to get this out?.

Reply #2
With enough patience, small vice grips should do it if you can get them in there. I've had good success with a rusted out broken head bolt and small rounded brake lines recently. You just clamp it down as tight as you can, push on it till it slips, the two it back off, twist it in a bit, reclamp, repeat.

Takes a long time, but usually works unless the bolt head breaks off.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Probably loctite.  If that's the case, clean away as much gear oil as possible, and heat the carrier around the pin.  Propane should be hot enough.  If the problem is loctite, that much heat should do.  Obviously, plan for the possibility of leftover brake cleaner or stray gear oil catching fire.  I wouldn't want to hear that my advice cost you your car.

Reply #4
Ok thanks for the advice will get this done soon when i have spare cash to buy the spider gears.Car has been a real pain this year keeps ending up on the back of a tow truck seams to like it up there too much.As for fire done that to an opel manta trying to heat a stubborn rear axle bolt,big fire,big red fire engine i always have a fire extinguisher close when i work with heat or fuel related work don't what to ever whatch my pride and joy burn again.

Reply #5
Personal experience here...if you have a car, you need a fire extinguisher. Maybe two. Do a lot of fuel/oil/solvent work? Get the appropriate one...

Just passing on a painful life lesson without the pain. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
I've used the attached bolt extractors with good luck.
Kit is actually 10 pieces 3/4"/19mm to 3/8". Two 5 piece kits. Can be used on SAE or metric.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-BOLT-GRIP-5-Pack-Bolt-Extractor-Set/501462
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more