Skip to main content
Topic: Master cylinder choices.... (Read 1642 times) previous topic - next topic

Master cylinder choices....

Going to do the Turbo Coupe brakes and rear end swap. Which master cylinder should I use? 93 Cobra MC, or a 94/95 Mustang MC? Or does it matter? The reason I ask is because I got the 3 to 2 conversion lines ordered, and was looking at the MC's, and thought either one would work. Although the 94/95 MC is a bit cheaper, and with a slightly larger bore, 1 inch vs 1 1.16 in.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
For a given amount of volume, a larger bore MC moves more fluid per amount of travel, makes for stiffer pedal... Given a choice, I go with the smaller bore cylinders, though with power brakes that 1/16" probably won't  be noticable...

Reply #2
Thanks. I'm trying to decide which way to go.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
If, with power brakes (which I have of course), a 94-95 MC would do a great job, I'd go that way since it costs a lot less. But want to do it right as these are brakes, which is critical.

Reply #4
I went with the Cobra mc when I did the brake upgrade.. No regrets. I also went with an adjustable pv.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #5
I have a Turbo Coupe proportioning valve, so the 3 to 2 brake line adapter will allow me to use that,.

As far as the MC, I'm gathering info from all the forum people I can and weighing the options.

Reply #6
My 88 cougar had 10" drums and I just used the same MC, with a TC prop valve.  Mustang GT brakes in front, TC rear disc.  Stop really well, unsure if it would be better with a different MC.
Mike

Reply #7
It's time to swap mine. I am just looking for the direction to go with it.

Reply #8
I think Tom has a good point. I know 1/16 of an inch difference is bigger, but minimal. I will listen to opinions and study on it.

Reply #9
I experienced low(soft) peddle when I had mine done. Don't remember if I tryd a TC valve tho. I couldn't believe the difference after. Definitely a great upgrade..
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #10
The only think I will tell you is that I have the 94/95 MC's on both of my cars that have the Cobra brakes and they work really well.  Before I swapped the Coupe over to the Cobra brakes it had the brakes off of a 95 GT on it and that is where the MC came from (although I did get a reman unit and used that one as the core).  Brakes were stellar and never had a hard pedal.  You can do the math and the 1" MC is hydraulically better but its not by much.  With the cost difference between the two and the minimal difference in performance I would just go with the 94-95 unit and go on down the road.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #11
Thanks for that info, I appreciate it.

Reply #12
Going with the 94/95 Mustang MC. I appreciate you guys.