Skip to main content
Topic: what to do, what to do... (Read 1729 times) previous topic - next topic

what to do, what to do...

Just found this forum the other day, loving it.
So, my project is an '85 Tbird, 5.0
It has 53k original miles on it and is pristine.  All original (even the tires until last year), the only upgrade is a aftermarket stereo system.
I'm in the process of building a 351w stroked to 410 cid, with all the bells and whistles - an easy 500/500 (hp/torque) powerplant.  It will stay unassuming on the outside, a tribute to its look and kind of falling into the sleeper category.
Then comes the tranny, rear end, exhaust, and a few suspension upgrades.
Money is not the issue, I'm wondering if I should leave the car alone and pass it on (ebay) to someone who wants to keep it original.
A part of me wants to find something else to slam this new motor into and leave the Tbird alone, the other part of me wants to continue with this sleeper build and relive high school.
I don't even know what I'm going to do with the original 5.0 once it's out.

thoughts?

Reply #1
I would build the car.

Why find something else that's either rusty or wrecked, or will need bodywork to be worth such an engine?

Then you also have the "me too" crowd (Mustangs) of which I regretfully fled to, but at some point another '88 Bird is in the future...

So, my opinion build it, post lots f pics of the progress here, and enjoy the hell out of it.

As for the original 5.0.....no idea...it's not the most desirable version. Maybe find a guy looking for a replacement block for a truck or something..?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
X

Reply #3
You're doing basically what I've done but with a larger engine ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
did you lose your overdrive with that stall?

Reply #5
Quote from: Clatonious;459770
did you lose your overdrive with that stall?

Nope. Still has all 4 gears. The PI Stallion converter is a non-lockup unit. So in 3rd and 4th gear the converter doesn't lock like the stock AOD converter. The engine does spin a couple hundred RPM higher than it would with a lockup converter. However the input shaft is once piece instead of the two piece lockup shaft. It's almost impossible to break, unlike the stock two piece design.

http://www.converter.com/stallion.htm
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
With a hardened input shaft the lockup feature can be retained... I ran a PI Stallion lockup, that AOD held during 150Hp shots of giggle juice, nary a hiccup...

Reply #7
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;459774
With a hardened input shaft the lockup feature can be retained... I ran a PI Stallion lockup, that AOD held during 150Hp shots of giggle juice, nary a hiccup...

By the time I bought a PI Stallion (2010) they no longer offer a lockup converter for the AOD. Honestly I don't miss it. If I ever put a 363 in I know the trans won't break :hick:.