Skip to main content
Topic: Temp gauge maxed out with switch on (Read 1146 times) previous topic - next topic

Temp gauge maxed out with switch on

OK..I've read some of the forums on her about temp gauge problem but I haven't seen this issue.
Since I've had my TC the temp gauge has always read cold in the blue even when I know the engine was hotter than that. I changed the sending unit and then the gauge slowly started climbing but then after a few minutes of running the gauge maxed out and the engine wasn't even warm yet.
I didn't think the sending unit was bad then I read that a member on here said he went through three sending units b4 he got one that worked properly..So I might have jumped the gun..I took dash cluster out and swapped gauge from my other car put all back together and gauge done the same thing and my fuel gauge stopped working. I pulled cluster back out to and used the cluster out of my parts car..Now my fuel gauge is working I think not for sure how much gas is in it but as soon as I turned on the switch temp gauge maxed out in a few seconds and the engine was off and cold. I don't know if I got a wiring problem or I should change sending unit again. What y'all think

Reply #1
Digital sending units are different then buttstuffog and 83-86 are different from 87-88.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I got it from Autozone for a 88 TC..And if I'm right ain't the digital for the v6&v8. My mounts on the side of block. I had a v8 sport awhile back and I think it was on intake.

Reply #3
The other cluster I'm using came out of a 87 tc..So that should b compatible. Everything works fine except temp gauge

Reply #4
Disconnect the wire on the sender and turn the key on. If it moves ...... Likely a wiring issue. No movement.... Likely the sender.

John

Reply #5
Thanks skunk..I feel like a dummy I should have tried that first. I unplugged the sending unit and temp gauge didn't move..So I'm changing the unit again.. Thanks for help. I'll let y'all know if that doesn't fix it