Skip to main content
Topic: What do we have here? (Read 2181 times) previous topic - next topic

What do we have here?

I have an intermittent engine light that comes and goes on my 83 T-bird. I go to try and get a Diagnostic code to source the problem and......I can't find the freakin
diagnostic port to plug into. I have several parts store guy and mechanics try and find it but no dice.
I did a lil research and I'm reading that my Bird has a EEC- IV predecessor system called a MCU system?

any senior members or Fordies know anything about these? the "brain" on the fender wall says EEC-IV. What year was the  MCU changed over to the EEC-IV diagnostics?

What do we have here?

Reply #1
A 83 will have eec-III.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

What do we have here?

Reply #2
The red engine light is either low oil pressure or overheating.
The engine light is turned on by the oil pressure switch or the coolant temperature switch. No brain involved.

The EEC III doesn't have a test connector for pulling codes.

83 5.0L is EEC III
83 2.3L Turbo is EEC IV
83 3.8L is carburetor

All engines went to EEC IV in 84.
The "brain" you are seeing on the fender wall is probably the Duraspark III ignition module.

What do we have here?

Reply #3
Great summary softtouch!
tbirdregistry.com

What do we have here?

Reply #4
Can you post pictures of the "brain" you are referring to?  The ECU (brain) is typically located behind the passenger side kick panel (below the glove compartment) and looks like this (it is one in a Fox Mustang but ours are in the same location):

http://www.mustangspecialties.net/images/1993-ecm-loc.jpg

The ignition module is out in the engine bay on the inner fender and looks like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD1/CBE7/02801.oap?year=1983&make=Ford&model=Thunderbird&vi=1140107&ck=Search_02801_1140107_2075&pt=02801&ppt=C0334

If you can take a picture of the data tag on the ECU that will positively identify which generation of EEC you have.  I don't recall any of the late production '83's getting an EEC IV but who knows who swapped what around on a 35 year old car.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

What do we have here?

Reply #5
Correction the ignition module on the fender wall says "Duraspark" Not EEC-IV

What do we have here?

Reply #6
The car never overheated.....but coolant was a little low,topped it off and presto no more engine light.....feeling really stupid now

What do we have here?

Reply #7
Cheap easy fixes are the best ones.

My crown vic didnt have a temp guage. I drove it for two days with the check engine light on before I realized it was overheating.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com