Skip to main content
Topic: Loud/Annoying Noise from under... help (Read 1973 times) previous topic - next topic

Loud/Annoying Noise from under... help

So, recently this noise from underneath the car has came about.  It's a rattlings type noise.  Here's a link to the noise...

Noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3wYi-HFkoo

When I got back from driving it (right after the video was taken), the noise disappeared.. its been on and off, very inconsistent..

No noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSNYDSieOUY

Is it exhaust?  Something loose maybe?  Can't seem to figure it out.
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Engine:  FR B303 cam, GT40P heads w/ Trickflow valve springs, Explorer upper/lower intake, SR cold air intake w/ MAF
Exhaust:  shorty headers, BBK O-R X-pipe, glasspacks w/ turn downs
Misc:  8.8 rear, Saleen SC replicas 17x8/17x10, Mach 1 front springs/SN95 rear springs
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

Reply #1
Sounds like exhaust to me. Kinda like a cat heat sheild.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
The weird part is that I don't have cats.  Maybe loose from an exhaust hanger?

Quote from: Haystack;458025
Sounds like exhaust to me. Kinda like a cat heat sheild.
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Engine:  FR B303 cam, GT40P heads w/ Trickflow valve springs, Explorer upper/lower intake, SR cold air intake w/ MAF
Misc:  8.8 rear, Saleen SC replicas 17x8/17x10, Mach 1 front springs/SN95 rear springs
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

Reply #3
get under there and listen,, with no cats, it should'nt be all that hard to find.
could be your ebrake cable hitting where it crosses over,, maybe you lost a spring that holds the cable up?

Reply #4
This may sound dumb, but in the first video, you are sitting over a drain of some kind, and the 2nd video not?  Could that be a strange sound resonance coming off the drain?  Sound can bounce around in really odd ways.... just a thought.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #5
Quote from: MY83T;458131
This may sound dumb, but in the first video, you are sitting over a drain of some kind, and the 2nd video not?  Could that be a strange sound resonance coming off the drain?  Sound can bounce around in really odd ways.... just a thought.

Good point, but no.  I used that brick car wash to amplify the sound from under the car for the videos sake.  You can hear the sound from the inside of the car, and I remember hearing it just randomly stop on my way back home (second video).
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

Reply #6
I've been limited on what I can do at my apartment at college because of not having access to ramps.  I plan to pull the car up on ramps on Thanksgiving when I visit home.  I know I'll probably be able to find the issue when I get under the car.
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

Reply #8
Quote from: jcassity;458173
drive up on the parking curb.

Haha, actually tried this.. car is too low.
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

Reply #9
I lost the sprag bearings out of my starter when my car had the AOD in it and it made some weird racket with the bearings tumbling around the converter.  Not saying this is it but maybe.  Pulled the inspection plate and that is how I found out.  Sure did start good after that...ha ha ha!!!

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp