Skip to main content
Topic: Ford Ranger question (Read 2296 times) previous topic - next topic

Ford Ranger question

Hey guys I just bought an '88 Ranger for a daily driver.  2.3 w/5 spd pretty nice for age and should make a good driver.  Anyway to my problem.  I drove the truck for a couple of days with no complaints but for the last few days it's developed an idle problem.  It seems that when you are idling it takes off and will rev at anywhere from 2000 to 3000 rpm.  After awhile it will go ahead and drop down to the regular idle.  So what do you guys think?  I'm thinkin maybe Throttle Position Sensor?  Maybe vaccuum?  Didn't know if anyone had similar problems with a 2.3?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Re: Ford Ranger question

Reply #1
Run codes, clean the IAC, check TPS volatge.....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
Quote from: Chuck W
Run codes, clean the IAC, check TPS volatge.....

DO this before you spend any kind of money on it. yours might not be the turbo model but it has alot in comon with the turbo 2.3 you could also look over at turboford they have it all on the 2.3t
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
OK thanks guys.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4
You could always sell it and buy MY turbo Ranger :deal: :D

Reply #5
He could always give it to me and then I would soon have a 2.3 turbo ranger. LOL
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #6
Hey Chuck I'll trade ya, I got an 88 Ranger with the 2.0, burns more oil than gas and only runs on 3 cylinders lol.

50tbrd88 - Check out http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6 those guys know these trucks inside and out. Sure someones had the same problem and can almost guaruntee theres a fix for it.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #7
You could always sell it and buy MY turbo Ranger 

He could always give it to me and then I would soon have a 2.3 turbo ranger. LOL

Hey Hey boys I bought the Ranger for a daily commuter...and the way cops are on the way to work the slower the better.  The last thing I need is a freakin' turbo on that thing.  It would be a lot of fun though.  BTW I thought my T-bird rode bad with the Steeda springs but OMG is there any shiznittier ride than an '88 Ranger?  The way it rattles your teeth you'd think you were riding a rabies infested goat down the road.:)

On a side note I got the idle problem fixed.  Took the TPS out and cleaned it, repaired a small vaccuum leak (which may not have been enough to cause a prob.) and also cleaned IAC.

Reply #8
50tbrd88,
Glad you got your issue fixed.

ChuckW,
Hey, do you have any pics of your Turbo Ranger?  I'd love to see what that looks like.  Just curious.

Fordman3

Reply #10
 thats awesome Chuck W :bowdown: .  What a sleeper and I like how you carried the turbo coupe theme throughout.  My new ranger is a reg. cab long bed with the same color blue (minus the two tone).  I'd like to do something similar maybe someday except I want to go for a "drag" feel with welds/big n' littles etc.  The little trucks aren't the most attractive IMO but they are light and have serious sleeper potential.

Reply #11
Well, I didn't really try to carry any "theme" on it.  I had the steering wheel and the seats were blue....so....in they went ;).

Personally I like the looks of the Gen 1's the best, nice simple uncluttered lines, but they're still trucks....

Reply #12
either way, that is a  nice truck. i'm jealous