Skip to main content
Topic: KMH Speedo & V8 Tach (Read 937 times) previous topic - next topic

KMH Speedo & V8 Tach

Looking for a Metric KM/H buttstuffog gauge cluster for my 87 Turbo Coupe. I am after both the 200kmh speedo and also a V8 tach because my car is 302 converted.

Can be reached via text as well as through here.  I am also paypal and ebay friendly. I live in Vancouver BC but also have a shipping address in Blaine Washington zip code 98230.

Thanks!

Jeff 604-727-6434
302 H.O Swapped.. Bolt ons.. Tremec 3550.. 4.10's.. 18's..

KMH Speedo & V8 Tach

Reply #1
Check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Ford-Thunderbird-Turbo-Coupe-Speedometer-Metric-KMH-Cluster-Gauges-85-86-/391582230088?hash=item5b2c1ea648:g:Rn0AAOSw8w1X8qc4&vxp=mtr

I'm guessing what you are looking for is somewhat rare ... would probably need to get a KMH cluster and then find a separate V8 tach/cluster and swap the tach over.  It's not that hard once you have both out of their respective cars.

I had to do something similar.  Obtained a 140mph cluster out of a Turbo Coupe and then swapped a V8 tach into it.

KMH Speedo & V8 Tach

Reply #2
Or you can mod your tach. I soldered a 100k resistor in parallel with the one that's already there. Works like a charm. Thanks Eric (CoolCats)

John

KMH Speedo & V8 Tach

Reply #3
Hello i have a 87 tbird 5.0 digtal guage cluster will that work?

KMH Speedo & V8 Tach

Reply #4
Quote from: 88Merc50;457717
Hello i have a 87 tbird 5.0 digtal guage cluster will that work?

Hey sorry but unfortunately that will not work for me! Thanks though!

Quote from: Skunk;457712
Or you can mod your tach. I soldered a 100k resistor in parallel with the one that's already there. Works like a charm. Thanks Eric (CoolCats)

John

Thanks John! I read about that mod a long time ago and I actually have everything to do that, was planning to tackle that mod this week but I have heard some people having issues with that mod. Sluggish response, struggles to keep up after 4k rpm, and some say is not very accurate. What is your experience with it?

Quote from: 85CougarCobra;457707
Check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Ford-Thunderbird-Turbo-Coupe-Speedometer-Metric-KMH-Cluster-Gauges-85-86-/391582230088?hash=item5b2c1ea648:g:Rn0AAOSw8w1X8qc4&vxp=mtr

I'm guessing what you are looking for is somewhat rare ... would probably need to get a KMH cluster and then find a separate V8 tach/cluster and swap the tach over.  It's not that hard once you have both out of their respective cars.

I had to do something similar.  Obtained a 140mph cluster out of a Turbo Coupe and then swapped a V8 tach into it.

Yeah the tach is only something I would buy if it happened to be reasonably priced and readily available. Not a big deal to convert mine. The speedo is something I would much rather have though. My cluster is already all taken apart ready to swap everything over so just figured why not if I'm already in there. Thanks for the link also! I have been watching that item on eBay for the last week and not sure if I should pull the trigger or not. Currency conversion is pretty bad right now so that will end up costing me a lot more after shipping is added... I'll contact him and see if he is willing to do a deal. He lives in Manitoba.

KMH Speedo & V8 Tach

Reply #5
I have an buttstuffog cluster out of a sport that I'll sell for $75.  It gets you part of the way at least - the tachometer.
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

KMH Speedo & V8 Tach

Reply #6
Quote from: 23027;457727

I read about that mod a long time ago and I actually have everything to do that, was planning to tackle that mod this week but I have heard some people having issues with that mod. Sluggish response, struggles to keep up after 4k rpm, and some say is not very accurate. What is your experience with it?

And some have no clue, with the mod you have a tach that's identical to Sport but has a TC face... It may not be perfectly accurate but rarely are the Sport units...

KMH Speedo & V8 Tach

Reply #8
Quote from: 23027;457727

Thanks John! I read about that mod a long time ago and I actually have everything to do that, was planning to tackle that mod this week but I have heard some people having issues with that mod. Sluggish response, struggles to keep up after 4k rpm, and some say is not very accurate. What is your experience with it?

Hey Jeff
My choice to do the mod was so I could keep the factory boost gauge for my 5.0T project. I can understand why some would say it seems sluggish. I thought that also since I had been driving with the tach pegging in 4cyl mode for years. As for its accuracy..... Mine is only a couple hundred rpm off on the slow side. It's livable since most fox mustangs I've played with are about 500 rpm slow. If your concerned about accurate rpm for shifting......do what I did.....install a shift buzzer http://www.modifry.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_66&product_id=66 this thing is awesome.

If you shoot me your email I can send you a short video of the tach in action compared to what the ECU sees. I'd post here but it appears I can only link to a video. Don't care to set up photobucket.

John

KMH Speedo & V8 Tach

Reply #9
Quote from: Lodemia;457728
I have an buttstuffog cluster out of a sport that I'll sell for $75.  It gets you part of the way at least - the tachometer.

Thanks for replying! I ended up soldering on a new resistor last night so I won't need the tach anymore. Thank you though!

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;457731
And some have no clue, with the mod you have a tach that's identical to Sport but has a TC face... It may not be perfectly accurate but rarely are the Sport units...

Fair enough! I read more about the inaccuracy at best and decided the conversion tach was just as good for me! I will keep my Autometer Monster 5" Tach to compare :)

Quote from: 85CougarCobra;457733
There's this option as well as far as the speedo goes, but you'd have to reach out to them to see if they can offer anything in the KMH realm and they don't offer a V8 tach ... at least not yet:

http://www.whitegauges.net/products/1985%252d1988-Ford-Thunderbird-140-MPH-Motorsports-Replacement-Face-Speedometer-Conversion.html

I have read about these a bit and personally I really dislike the white face gauges. For the trouble of having these made custom I would just rather purchase a used speedo and screw it in :) But thanks for the info!

Quote from: Skunk;457739
Hey Jeff
My choice to do the mod was so I could keep the factory boost gauge for my 5.0T project. I can understand why some would say it seems sluggish. I thought that also since I had been driving with the tach pegging in 4cyl mode for years. As for its accuracy..... Mine is only a couple hundred rpm off on the slow side. It's livable since most fox mustangs I've played with are about 500 rpm slow. If your concerned about accurate rpm for shifting......do what I did.....install a shift buzzer http://www.modifry.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_66&product_id=66 this thing is awesome.

If you shoot me your email I can send you a short video of the tach in action compared to what the ECU sees. I'd post here but it appears I can only link to a video. Don't care to set up photobucket.

John

I'm not doing anything with my car that requires super accuracy however I just want to do things well the first time. But I've learned that Ford tachs of this vintage aren't very accurate but close enough. So if doing the resistor mod will land it really close to factory then that's good enough for me! I'm curious to see what your comparison is like! I'll DM you my e-mail address.