Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 Cougar LS with console shift (Read 858 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 Cougar LS with console shift

Was this a really rare option, or did some one convert to floor shift? I thought the ONLY ones that had floor shift were the Turbo Coupe, the XR-7, & the Sport.

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/23999376
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #1
I believe it's been mentioned prior the floor shift was a option or included in some package...

Reply #2
It was a stand alone option referred to in the brochure as "Individual bucket seats with console".

http://www.coolcats.net/fox/1987options.html
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #3
Quote from: BCA;455335
It was a stand alone option referred to in the brochure as "Individual bucket seats with console".

http://www.coolcats.net/fox/1987options.html

I know the full console was an option, here's an 87-88 T-Bird LX that has the TC/Sport seats & full console, but still has the shifter on the column.X
But I was speaking specifically about this Cougar LS also having the gear shifter in the center console.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #4
Years ago when I converted my car to 5-speed I found a base V6 T-Bird in the junkyard with the floor shifter. I bought the console, switch panel (power windows and mirrors, no power seats) and dash trim from it. Didn't use the console, though - I used a full length one from an 83 Cougar.

Now, what I SHOULD have bought from that car was the Motorsport grille, ground effects, ducktail spoiler, and TC hood. I didn't buy that stuff because I already had a TC hood and the rest wouldn't fit my 88. Over the next few days I had second thoughts, and went back to the junkyard the following weekend, but the car was gone. They crushed it, Motorsport parts and all. But I digress: That base Bird had the floor shift, and I'm pretty sure it was factory because the base cluster did not have the PRNDL indicator
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
I saw a few low optioned early cars with a 3.8 and a floor shift before.

My 86 is a gs model with a full console. It also had power windows and and mirrors, but manual seats.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
The console in my Thunderbird came out of an 87 V6 Cougar that had a full length console and floor shifter. Talk about weirdly optioned....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.