Skip to main content
Topic: Soft ( low ) peddle after 8.8 TC rear axle swap (Read 5803 times) previous topic - next topic

Soft ( low ) peddle after 8.8 TC rear axle swap

Reply #15
I can confirm you will need to massage the strut  tower to get it on or slot the holes
Its not bad though, after its installed you can't see it at all
My motor was out when I installed it too
This was on my 87 TC though
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #16
Ramos, By chance do you remember about how long it took you to swap the booster and MC on your TC?
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #17
I'm not sure
When I did my conversion I pulled everything out of my engine bay and did my best to degrease, pressure wash, prep an paint it before installing my brake MC and BB. 
IIRC pulling the old unit out took the longest time
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #18
I've done about six of these and one did not require any massaging and a couple were very little. Again, it depends on the car and the wild ass tolerances they were put together with. The whole purpose of the 93 Cobra booster is to avoid slotting the fire wall.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #19
I don't want to open another new topic, so I will use this one. I'm going to swap the 8.8 rear axle to my 85 TC. I'm not going to swap front brakes for bigger ones. Maybe in the future, but definitely not now. My question is, which master cylinder should I use? I really want to have two separate reservoirs for safety reasons, so I will probably need to use some stock master cylinder from a different model. I've taken a look on Crown Victoria MC, but it seems to be designed for drums on rear axle, not discs. Would you help me, please?

Reply #20
If you wan to run an MC with two independent reservoirs then use the '85 Lincoln Town Car MC. The 1" diameter MC will still be your best bet as the 10" brake cars use the same caliper as the 11" brake cars.

Reply #21
85 Town Car has drum brakes at the rear. Does the MC have some kind of pressure valve, which keeps a residual pressure in rear brakes, or not?

Reply #22
No. You do not want residual pressure on the brakes as that will cause them to drag. The combination valve which houses the proportion valve has a check valve in it which is supposed to stop a leak in the rear brakes from draining the MC. This is the brass block that the lines from the MC go into on the driver inner fender. Being that the TOwn Car MC has two reservoirs the check valve side of the combination valve redundant but does not affect how it works.

The MC does not care if the brakes are drum or disc. You are sizing the piston in the MC to displace a give amount of fluid at a pressure. The 85 Lincoln TC is a proven MC for disc brakes for either the Fox TC setup (also the 93 Cobra brakes) or the SN95 brakes.

Reply #24
Glad to help but I am basically regurgitating all the research I did when I swapped out the brakes on my cars.  Most of this info is very readily available on the Mustang sites but you have to wade through a lot of BS to get to the threads that have good info.

Reply #25
Good read. I am experiencing a low pedal on my 86 5.0 Elan after the 8.8/disc brake swap. Not spongy, just low. Was thinking a different master cylinder might be required.
1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.

Reply #26
If you are still on the stock MC then I would upgrade it to one of the ones mentioned and install a manual proportioning valve and adjust accordingly.

Reply #27
Quote from: Aerocoupe;462170
If you are still on the stock MC then I would upgrade it to one of the ones mentioned and install a manual proportioning valve and adjust accordingly.

I am and will be upgrading.
1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.