Skip to main content
Topic: I'm a NEWB (Read 2812 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm a NEWB

Hello
I have a question  I own a 1985 Cougar 2 door hardtop 5.0 engine. It this a fox body or the fox body chassis  I am having a hard time  dispersing all the different information I am finding on the internet  Also I am not sure on the model . It says Cougar 2 door on the title No LS  or GS
Thank you for any help
Kim[ATTACH=CONFIG]37328[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37329[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37330[/ATTACH]

I'm a NEWB

Reply #1
Welcome
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

I'm a NEWB

Reply #2
Welcome aboard.  Yes you definitely have a fox body.  89 up was the mn-12 platform.  80-88 would be the fox bodies.

If you want to learn about your car, stick around this forum and head over to http://www.coolcats.net.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

I'm a NEWB

Reply #3
Welcome to the forum. What are your plans for the build?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

I'm a NEWB

Reply #4
Thanks guys.. Ok I have been poking around on the car On the inside of the passenger door is a tag. It's starting to fade but it's there  I know it's the tire size stats. What I am surprised at is it says Model XR7  I thought this was a 1985 Cougar. What is the diffrence if any. Sorry as the title says I am a newb I should also include the title  says series Cou2D  I am pretty sure that means Cougar 2 door No xr7 ect ? X

I'm a NEWB

Reply #5
Xr7 means turbo charged 2.3. Its a generic tag for different tire sizes available that year.

More likely then not you have a base or gs 86 cougar. The Ls model is just a different trims and standard options. A gs or base model can be almost identically optioned out in these years. Mine is a base, but my first car was a gs and had less options.

Poke around on coolcats.net they even have model info by year and Vin information.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

I'm a NEWB

Reply #6
Welcome:cool:

I'm a NEWB

Reply #7
Quote from: ilyu2;454386
Hello
I have a question  I own a 1985 Cougar 2 door hardtop 5.0 engine. It this a fox body or the fox body chassis  I am having a hard time  dispersing all the different information I am finding on the internet  Also I am not sure on the model . It says Cougar 2 door on the title No LS  or GS
Thank you for any help
Kim

Hello and welcome.

Based on your pictures, and assuming that its exterior has not been modified; it is not an LS. Two easy to identify exterior features of the LS model were bright rocker panel moldings and the electroluminescent coach lamps on the c-pillar (the Cougar emblem lights up).

BTW, for 1983-1985 model years, there was no GS designation, just Cougar, Cougar LS and Cougar XR-7. The GS model designation didn’t start until the 1986 model year.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built