Skip to main content
Topic: How to correct speedo after changing to 3.73 on '88 Cougar (Read 9229 times) previous topic - next topic

How to correct speedo after changing to 3.73 on '88 Cougar

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some input and help to figure out what I need to do to correct my speedo after I get a set of 3.73 gears installed on my 1988 Cougar XR7 5.0L auto with 8.8 trak-lok rear end.  Car currently has factory 3.08 gears and has mechanical gauges but does not use a speedo cable.  There seems to be many types of driven gears and drive gears and I'm not sure how to proceed.  Your help is appreciated.  Thanks!
88 XR7 5.0L low mileage Florida Cat.  AOD, 8.8, headers with x-pipe and flowmaster cat-back, 3.73's, lowered 1".  1 of 421 according to Marti Report.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
This gear: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-17271J-K/83-95-Mustang-23-Tooth-Speedo-Gear-Kit-Auto

I use it in my Thunderbird with 3.73 gears. Just pop the old one off the vehicle speed sensor and pop the 23 tooth gear on in its place.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Wow. Nice ride sir!!!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #3
Nice!!  Sounds like it's worked well for you thunderjet302, so I'll order it up and put it in.  Thanks for the tip and for the link for purchasing it.  I'm looking forward to seeing what these 3.73's do for the car!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37313[/ATTACH]
88 XR7 5.0L low mileage Florida Cat.  AOD, 8.8, headers with x-pipe and flowmaster cat-back, 3.73's, lowered 1".  1 of 421 according to Marti Report.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
Thank-you.  You've got a nice Anni there Zondac12!

X

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
It's simply ridiculous sometimes, to even imagine one of these cars looking pretty this far north!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #6
Whereabouts in Ontario are you?  I live in Caledon, and am a parts guy at the dealer in Waterloo.  Most of the speedo gears are still available to order from Ford at a reasonable price.  Shoot me a p.m. if I can help.

That's a great looking cat, the Saleen style wheels look at home on there.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #7
Fast Ed, you've got a bit of a trek to get to work.  I'm in Cambridge.  When I was trying to figure out this speedo gear change last fall I found out that Ford only made up to a 21 tooth gear.  According to ^thunderjet302^ I need a 23 tooth which I guess is only available through the aftermarket.  And thanks for the compliment on the wheels, I was happy how they finished the car off nicely!

@ ZondaC12 - I know what you mean, in the last couple of years I've seen only one of these cars and it was very nice.  Hard to find anymore.  That should put the value of these up shouldn't it?  LOL

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Mine is still a little off.  I cant remember if I used the 21 or 23 tooth though, its been too long ago.  LOL
Mike

Reply #9
The "aftermarket" 23 tooth speedo gears are just a Jeep part, you can order one from the Chrysler dealer as part number J3167393.  The issue with the 23 tooth version is that the teeth are very fine because of trying to fit so many on such a small plastic gear ... many people experience premature wear on them.  Upside is, not a lot of money to replace one if it does happen.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #10
If trans has a 8 tooth gear cut into output shaft a 23 is required for 3.73, this is by far what most passenger car AOD trans have... The performance(Super Coupe) & truck versions have a 7 tooth output so 21 will match 3.73 using those trans...

Reply #11
I've heard conflicting stories about whether my '88 AOD is a 7 tooth or an 8 tooth drive.  How do you know for certain, can you see the drive gear well enough through the VSS hole?

Also, if the 23 tooth gear does suffer premature wear does it mess up the "drive" gear as well?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
Wow NICE 88 xr7, just like mine except mine has the side stripes.

Reply #13
Quote from: AT8 Cat;454392
I've heard conflicting stories about whether my '88 AOD is a 7 tooth or an 8 tooth drive.  How do you know for certain, can you see the drive gear well enough through the VSS hole?

Also, if the 23 tooth gear does suffer premature wear does it mess up the "drive" gear as well?

Following your thread as I need to order a new gear as well.( just swapped in a 3.55 TC rear axle) What did you decide on your AOD? 7 tooth or 8? I have an 87 5.0 Bird with AOD. TurboCoupe 50 said MOST came with 8 tooth so I may get mine tomorrow. Ray
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #14
Could you post some more pics of that car its gorgeous also where did you get those sc wheels and how well do they fit?
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum