Skip to main content
Topic: Hmm this is interesting (Read 3496 times) previous topic - next topic

Hmm this is interesting

So my wife and I have been casually looking at 4 door mid/full size sedans. We've been looking at front wheel drive sedans as we are looking for something that I won't get the itch to "mod", other wise the obvious answer is 5.7 Charger R/T (even though I'm weary of Chrysler products as they tend to be POS cars). We're looking to buy something in late 2016 or early 2017, around the time her Mustang goes back to sitting for the winter. The front runner thus far has been the Accord V6 due to it being affordable (~32K) and pretty  quick for a FWD mid size car (0-60 in 5.8 seconds is only .4 seconds behind the Thunderbird). However Ford has thrown a wrench in the plans: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/news/a27866/2017-ford-fusion-sport-debuts-detroit/

2017 Fusion Sport has a 2.7 twin-turbo V6 with 325hp and all wheel drive for a projected $34k. I'm thinking wait it out and see if their are any reliability issues but it looks pretty  tempting. It should be a  rocket and practical to boot. I'm really hoping it drives better than the Accord V6, so as to make it an easier decision ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #1
Schweet...

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #2
Wow, sounds impressive.  My wife had a 2010 Fusion Sport that we absolutely loved.  It was quick for a v6 fwd sedan, but this takes the cake.

We have two kids and our Fusion just didn't seem to have enough interior space (I'm 6' 4" and had to drive with my knees in the dash so our kids car seat would fit), otherwise I'd be looking into one of these next time we trade cars
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #3
Check out the new fusions. The interiors are cavernous. The cars are fairly quick with the 2.0 ecoboost and awd is an option. Sadly, there is no longer a manual transmission option available. 2014 was the last year for the stick. My wife has a 14 fusion se sport 1.6 ecoboost and 6 speed manual. Extremely fun car to make the daily commute.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #4
When you mentioned it was available with a six cylinder engine I had to look it up since all the current models are four cylinder only.  I agree it looks impressive.  My step-daughter's fiance has a new Fusion and the interior is very roomy and I like the simple and graceful lines of the current generation.

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #5
Quote from: jandmmustangs;453710
Check out the new fusions. The interiors are cavernous. The cars are fairly quick with the 2.0 ecoboost and awd is an option. Sadly, there is no longer a manual transmission option available. 2014 was the last year for the stick. My wife has a 14 fusion se sport 1.6 ecoboost and 6 speed manual. Extremely fun car to make the daily commute.

I will have to look into that in a few years.  Bad thing is my wife HATES the styling on the current body style.  I don't think they're too bad, but do like the look of our old 2010 better.

Right now we have a new Jeep Cherokee trail hawk.  It's not the most "handsome" vehicle on the road but has been a great vehicle so far.  I was apprehensive about buying it as I've never owned a Chrysler (fiat?!?) before, but it has really surprised us.  It gets respectable fuel Economy, is comfy, and does great in the snow.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #6
My father's got a Cherokee Trailhawk. He bought it when I bought my Mustang because he was jealous that I had a new car. It's been good to him so far. Wish the opposite was true - see the "Got rear ended" thread for the things he and my mother have done to it.

I was looking at those Fusion Sports as well. The 2.7 is quite an impressive engine - it's the one the base Ecoboost Mustang should have had (and the 3.5 should have been tuned to 400+ and offered in the Mustang as well)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #7
Taurus SHO too much to be an option, or too big?

The Fusion does sound pretty neat..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #8
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;453718

I like the SHO - it's a beautiful car, but really cramped on the inside. A Fusion has more room (hell, a Focus probably has more room). With ~325 horses and AWD, the Fusion sport is likely quicker too
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #9
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;453718

Quote from: Thunder Chicken;453721
I like the SHO - it's a beautiful car, but really cramped on the inside. A Fusion has more room (hell, a Focus probably has more room). With ~325 horses and AWD, the Fusion sport is likely quicker too

This exactly. The Fusion Sport is likely to be quicker than the SHO and also about $8k cheaper. One also won't give up any interior space in the Fusion vs the Taurus.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #10
The 2.7 is being used in the 15-up F-150 and Edge Sport already, so it won't be an unproven engine by the time the refreshed Fusions come out.  I've had a Fusion SE FWD 1.5 Ecoboost as a work demo, very comfortable and quiet car with plenty of room.  The new Sport should be a great performer.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #11
I'm still going to wait a bit after the Fusion Sport comes out before pulling the trigger. I just want to make sure Ford works the bugs out of the redesign before I buy a brand new car. You know after the teething problems come out.

Plus I'd like to test drive one. Just to make sure I like it.

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #12
Well I drove a Fusion Sport a few weeks ago. The interior is nice, rides well, and seems to be a great family sedan. The salesman let my wife and I take it for a spin alone. We got to a deserted back road and I nailed it from a stop. My first reaction was "holy shiznit!". With all wheel drive the Fusion shot off like a rocket booster rammed into the trunk lid. It's a couple ticks slower than our Mustang or Thunderbird but it's really close. It's got power and torque all over the place. The sticker is $34K on the base Fusion Sport but we could get one out the door (tax+title+license) for $32.5K. We're not going to buy one though.........

Because there are a couple issues. The biggest one is fuel economy. The Fusion Sport is rated at 17 city and 26 highway. That's less than my wife's Mustang which is rated at 19 city and 30 highway. She routinely gets 18mpg in horrible Chicago traffic. Secondly to get full power you need to run 93 octane in the Fusion Sport. It'll run on 87 octane but give up about 15hp. It's going to be more expensive to fuel the Fusion Sport than her Mustang or the Thunderbird, especially in stop and go Chicago traffic.

We're going to end up with an Accord EX-L V6 sedan. It'll end up being cheaper to operate as a daily driver, cheaper to insure, and cheaper to acquire. The Fusion 2.0T is not an option as the Accord V6 blows it out of the water from a speed stand point. The Accord will be the first non-FoMoCo car I've purchased with my own money. That's gotta say something about it's fun to drive quotient.

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #13
Have you considered a Camry XLE? The V6 is actually pretty potent and is rated 21mpg city and 30mpg highway. I have a buddy who bought one and he absolutely loves it.
It's Gumby's fault.

Hmm this is interesting

Reply #14
Quote from: Tbird232ci;457375
Have you considered a Camry XLE? The V6 is actually pretty potent and is rated 21mpg city and 30mpg highway. I have a buddy who bought one and he absolutely loves it.

The V6 Accord get similar MPG numbers, 21 city 33 highway.

The main issue with the Camry is my wife refuses to buy a Toyota because they are "cars for people who don't care about driving". Even though that pretty much describes everyone who buys a midsize 4 door sedan...... So even though we could probably get a V6 Camry cheaper than a V6 Accord if she would consider it she refuses to buy a Toyota. The V6 Altima is a no go. The interior is cheap and nasty. The Fusion would have made the cut if it just even had the 3.5 non turbo V6 from the Taurus. The 2.0T is not a replacement for a V6 in any shape or form unless they add about 30 more horsepower to it.