Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 Mercury Cougar Convertible (Read 4149 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 Mercury Cougar Convertible

XX

My name is Clinton, and I just bought a 1986 Mercury Cougar Convertible here in Oklahoma.  I am a Ford Mustang enthusiast and lover of all Fox Bodies.  I will post pictures, as soon as I can figure out the format.

Reply #1
Throw em up on photo bucket or email them to me and I'll post for you.

Welcome.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Welcome.

Yes we need pictures ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
I will post more as soon as I get it home and cleaned up a little.

Reply #4
Sweet. Never seen that color combo before.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #5
I have never seen one in person until yesterday, but knew they existed.  Does anyone know how many V8 cars were converted in 1986?  I plan on making this solid daily driver, but would like to take it to some shows and cruises too.  Keep the stock appearance, but do some work under the hood.  Maybe some different wheels too.

Reply #6
Check out coolcats.net

Eric has a whole section dedicated to convertibles. I believe there was only 89 total in 1986.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #7
I swapped the battery out of my Excursion, and when the dash lit up, it revealed 93k original miles.  This corresponds with the oil change sticker and the last time it was on the road.  I believe to actually get it running, I need to finish installation of the fuel tank, install a new fuel filter , and add some gas.  It did fire with a squirt of starting fluid, so that means all the ignition side of electronics are in working order.  Mid 60's tomorrow, so I should be able to get it running.  It does have a few rust issues, but not too bad. After all, I only paid $300 for it.

Reply #8
$300 is a killer deal. I was eyeing a 87 cat with a blown trans for $500 just a few minutes ago.

Follow these steps. A few tools and 10 minutes and you should know what's up.
http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=588.0
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #9
I'll give you $350 for it :D

Dude, that's an awesome price!

Make sure while you have the tank down, you replace the small rubber line inside the tank that goes from the top plate of the sending unit to the pump itself. It's always rotten, and it will cause all kinds of weird problems.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #10
welcome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
Turns out the fuel pump is shot, and the tank either needs to be cleaned or replaced.  Probably more economical to just replace the tank with a new one.

Reply #12
$300!!! . Then again I'm sure the seller figured there was just no interest in these whatsoever.
And being out there I'm sure the underside looks like new. Looks great!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #13
It's funny, the seller knew what he had because he quoted some info about it from Eric's site.  It was parked on the side of his house, and the neighbor called the city, so he was forced to put it in his garage.  He would rather have the garage space to work on his Harley.  So instead of sending it to the crusher, he put it up for sale.  I happily handed over his full price of $300.  It was a bonus that when the popped the hood and saw the 5.0.  I would have still bought it if it had been a V6 car.

Reply #14
I wish the underside looked like new.  We get our fair share of winter weather, and they use salt and sand on the roads out here.  It's not too bad, but does have a few rust issues, surface rust on the suspension and steel that Car Craft used.