Skip to main content
Topic: Vacuum release for emergency brake 85 bird (Read 1285 times) previous topic - next topic

Vacuum release for emergency brake 85 bird

Where can I find and replace the vacuum switch for the emergency brake release?
Where is it located. Where can o order one

Reply #1
I believe it is on the colum shift hardware under the dash.

Most of the time it is the plastic vacuum lines that get brittle and break.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
correct,,
my little check valve failed on me one day and i had a huge vac leak under the dash.
i pulled over and quickly bypassed the auto ebrake and have not bothered hooking it up since.

better engineering money could have been put towards a drink holder solution if you ask me,, LOL

you will find the same pieces parts in other ford cars,, but no i have not found this part in parts stores yet. 

Oddly , my ford bronco has the same check valve setup for some reason but it does not have auto ebrake.

Reply #3
The check valve on the bronco is for the cruise control deactivation. When you have the cruise on and press the brake pedal is drops the cruise out.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra