Skip to main content
Topic: Changing computer help (Read 2118 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing computer help

will a MAF computer out of a 89 mustang work with my 88 thunderbird? thx for the help

Re: Changing computer help

Reply #1
Only if your car has an H.O. conversion and you converted your T-Bird to mass air from speed density.
If not, you need a speed density computer available from a pre mass air mustang (before 89 or 88 for California emissions cars), a fox body T-Bird, Cougar or Lincoln Mark VII.

Reply #2
alright thats what i was afraid of. thx

Reply #3
By the way. Welcome aboard and nice looking T-Bird :D

Reply #4
thx i just got done doing almost what you did same heads a off brand intake upper and lower a bigger cam shortys and dual flowmasters now i just need to get the mustang computer to run it right:)

Reply #5
get some 19# injectors, they sell the wiring kit for the MAF, and pick up a computer, its not hard, there actually is a thread around here somewhere about the actual conversion
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
Tbird232ci is right. It looks like you have the components of an H.O. motor on your S.O. motor. From your first post I gather that you already have an 89 MAF computer. The solution is simple; convert your car to mass air and rearrange the plugwires for the H.O. firing order. You will also have to get a set of 19# fuel injectors. The MAF conversion is simple by getting some junkyard parts and a wiring kit for the MAF. If your car doesn't seem to be running where it should be, it's because of the factory speed density setup and your motor still being in S.O. mode. It doesn't work too well with better heads, intake and cam.

Reply #7
i already have the ho firing order becuase of my cam. i dont have the 89 maf computer i was looking into buying one but if it doesnt work ill just keep trying to find a older one out of a mustang i just got some 19# fuel injectors i dont have them on my car right now. but yea i changed so much that my computer is running on defualt so i need to find a older computer or changet o maf.

what do you have to do to change to a maf system tho? is there a page on it same where i can read?

Reply #9
if you have all of the ho sensors and everything then it should work. I'll bet that they thought that you had a stock 5.0, which most new guys here do.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
alright i could change to maf but couldnt i just get a computer out of a 87 mustang and plug it in and it will work right? i may want to go with the maf later but right now i just want to get my car running normal first. i changed alot on it so i just want to make sure its going good now.

Reply #12
You can get a speed denstiy H.O. computer from either a Mustang, as you already know or an 86?- 92 Lincoln Mark VII. However with the modifications you have to your motor, you may not get all of their benefits with speed density. So if you get the computer and hook it up, don't think that all your work went to waste if the car doesn't run as well as it should. In other words running on speed density may not give an accurate reading as to if your car is running correctly.

Reply #13
i got that but it will run closer to what i have done to it then my computer right now. thats what im looking for. but from what i heard i can confuse a map computer easier then a maf so in my case i have been told i shouldnt go to maf becuase it may not read right. but i could have been told wrong

Reply #14
It should be better than it is now after you switch to the H.O. speed density computer.  So basically you are still using the original S.O. computer which is set to run at a specific firing order and your car has the H.O. firing order. Your car should definitely run better. I'm not sure about what you were told. I haven't heard anything about that so it could very well be true or false.