Skip to main content
Topic: Dyno Day coming up next Saturday... (Read 3900 times) previous topic - next topic

Dyno Day coming up next Saturday...

I'm taking the Sport to Dyno Day next Saturday the 21st.

What all can I do to optimize what I have by then?

Timing is at 16 degrees, and the car seems to run best there. I'll have to adjust the clutch cable a little bit. Check the spark plugs as well. Theyt should be fine. Fuel pressure is right at 39 to 40 psi.

The rockers are adjusted one full turn (Scorpion 1.6 stud mount rockers). Should I only go half turn, or is it fine where it's at?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
I'd slap some fresh plugs in it if I was going, or at least check them.  Looks like your combo is maxed out buddy,  once you get your dyno and A/F I guess you'll see how well your mass air meter is doing or not doing.  Mass air meter and tune with chip or quarterhorse might be all thats left to do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
New plugs and maybe 1/2 turn on the rockers would be it. I usually run 1/2 turn on roller rockers but if 1 full turn works for you leave it be. I'm going to guess you make 280 rwhp and around 300 rwtq, depending on what type of dyno you run on (Mustang,  DynoJet, etc).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
The Autolite plugs are ony 8 weeks old. they are gapped to .050. Should I go less with the aluminum heads? NOS stock coil is on the car.

Would an MSD 6AL be any good?

Is there any power difference to gain by going 1/2 turn over 1 turn for the rockers?

I'd like to have a tune done one day next year. My Mass Air meter is actually a stock 93 Cobra piece. Nothing fancy, along with a 70mm throttle body.

280 horse power sounds about right. I'd like to see more, but only one way to find out.....strap the car down.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
You use a 93 cobra eec than?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
A 6al will make more power if you have one lying around, otherwise, I would leave it alone and clean the air filter. My car used to like fuel pressure at 45 psi vice the factory 39. It picked up about 10 hp by tuning in the fuel pressure. Butt dyno will not tell you, a day at the dyno will!

Reply #6
Btw, your rockers should be fine if it's not missing or running like .

Reply #7
Yes, I'm running the '93 Cobra EEC

I may try to bump the fuel pressure a tiny bit and play with it.

I don't have an A9L, but thought I'd ask.

Reply #8
your better off with the 93 cobra meter and cobra EEC. I thought you was running a pro-m or something thats why I made the comment about possibly needing a better meter.  From my reading the factory stuff is pretty accurate.

I wouldn't do anything besides tune-up items (plugs, clean air filter),  keep timing and fuel pressure where you have it now and just get that first run in and see where the a/f ratio is and how it looks across the rpm range... and how much power it makes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
If the plugs are 8 weeks old leave them alone. They are probably fine. Same thing with the rockers. If you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator you can play with that but the EEC will eventually tune out any changes you make in fuel pressure. I would just leave it at the stock 39psi setting. You could play with timing as well. Try 12*, 14*, 16*, 18* and see which makes more power.

You should make more power with a tune. I'm really considering have mine tuned in the spring to try and maximize what I've got.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
I want to have my tuned next year as well. Getting some other small things finished first.

My EEC and MAF are Genuine Ford Parts.

I have been wondering about my clutch cable. It feels spongy. I wonder if it's stretched a bit. It's adjustable and has been on for a couple of years. I have a new one in the garage. I'll install a firewall adjuster when I do the new booster and master cylinder. I'm going with the smaller housing Mustang piece. BUT, that has nothing to do with dyno day except clutch adjustment. I need to grab as well as it can.

Reply #11
This is supposed to be one of the best adjustable clutch cables: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Clutch-Cable-Quadrant-and-Firewall-Adjuster-Package-P385.aspx

I like Maximum Motorsports. They make really good stuff. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Reply #12
I may grab the cable. I don't need the rest right now. Thanks for the link.

I just checked the plugs....apparently I had them at 0.45.............not .050 as I thought. They are at .050 now. They were all very clean.

Reply #13
Quote from: vinnietbird;452257
I may grab the cable. I don't need the rest right now. Thanks for the link.

I just checked the plugs....apparently I had them at 0.45.............not .050 as I thought. They are at .050 now. They were all very clean.

Here's just the cable: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Clutch-Cable-Universal-Mustang-Ford-OEM-1982-04-P897.aspx

It's made in the USA too.

Reply #14
I like it...... I like it a lot.