Skip to main content
Topic: Quad shock bolt size? (Read 2186 times) previous topic - next topic

Quad shock bolt size?

Does anyone happen to know the size of the bolts that hold the quad shock bracket to the frame rail on a Thunderbird/Cougar? I also need to know the bolt size for the quad shock to axle bracket as well. Thanks.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Quad shock bolt size?

Reply #1
Apparently not :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Quad shock bolt size?

Reply #2
If you can hold until tomorrow, I'll check when I'm back at work.  The online parts catalogue only shows a desciption of "hardware" when I look at those, that happens often with the older fasteners ... the dimensions don't show up in the computer catalogue.  But there is also an older printed book specifically for hardware that often shows the dimensions.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Quad shock bolt size?

Reply #3
Quote from: fast Ed;452234
If you can hold until tomorrow, I'll check when I'm back at work.  The online parts catalogue only shows a desciption of "hardware" when I look at those, that happens often with the older fasteners ... the dimensions don't show up in the computer catalogue.  But there is also an older printed book specifically for hardware that often shows the dimensions.

cheers
Ed

If you can find out what size the fasteners are I would appreciate it!

Quad shock bolt size?

Reply #4
So the brackets to the chassis take an M12 coarse (1.75 pitch) x 30 mm, 9.8 grade.  The hardware number is still available from Ford and reasonably priced up here in Canuckistan, but I don't have access to the U.S. pricing ... number is N605933-S2.  The quad to axle bracket, couldn't find any dimensions on the T-Bird number, but I did find them for Fox Mustang which I assume will be the same.  M12 coarse x 70 mm for that one, available as Ford hardware # N606084-S426, also 9.8 grade, and the locking nut to go on it is N800937-S437.  There is still some stock showing available in Ford U.S. depots if you want to get the OEM fasteners.  But I imagine that you could get the right sizes at Lowes or Home Depot too.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Quad shock bolt size?

Reply #5
Awesome. Thank you!

There is a 91 Mustang GT that just arrived at the local salvage yard. I'm going to try grabbing the bolts from that car if they are not too corroded. If they are trash I'll take the bolt size information to the local Fasternal and get some new bolts.

Quad shock bolt size?

Reply #6
If anyone searches for this later the above bolts are the correct size. They fit perfectly. It turns out that even though my car is pretty much rust free underneath after 28 years of being exposed to moisture and the air the bolt threads for the quad shock brackets were pretty rusted up. I ended up having to re tap the holes to thread the bolts in.

Now once Maximum Motorsports sends me the extreme duty adjustable rear control arms with spherical bushings I ordered (they are on back order and should ship in two weeks) I'll have eliminated all slop from the rear suspension :).