Skip to main content
Topic: How Reliable is the 2.3 turbo? (Read 1437 times) previous topic - next topic

How Reliable is the 2.3 turbo?

I am interested in buying a 1983 to 1986 T Bird, I am not sure if I should buy a turbo or a 5.0 or 3.8 any response who help. Thank Michael Fricken

Reply #1
Quote from: Michael Fricken;451636
I am interested in buying a 1983 to 1986 T Bird, I am not sure if I should buy a turbo or a 5.0 or 3.8 any response who help. Thank Michael Fricken

At 30+ years old it mostly depends on past environment & maintenance, 5.0 are most reliable followed by turbo 2.3(If kept stockish they are fairly reliable as well)... For the 3.8 it'd have to be a really nice car that someone was just about giving me, or in other words I won't touch one...

Reply #2
I have had several of them all, and they are all pretty reliable.

They all have their pros and cons. But as far as old cars go, they aren't too bad. I have an 85 Turbo right now, and I've had it for about 7 years. It hasn't given me any problems that weren't just caused from aging parts. I replaced all the rubber parts when I bought it, but I forgot to do the timing belt. So that got me later on, lol. But it's not an interference engine, and the timing belt couldn't be easier (compared to some other cars I've done).

I had a handfull of 5.0's and 3.8s too. The 5.0 is a nice one to get. Plenty of cheap parts and easy upgrades. My last 5.0 was my 83 cougar, AKA 'the farm truck', LOL. I delivered pizza in it, pulled tons of trailers with it, drove it all over the USA, good times. I only got rid of it because it was so rusty it was about to break in half.

Many people say the 3.8s are head gasket eaters, but I've had several of them too, and I've never had one eat a head gasket. Valve cover gaskets and timing chains, yes, but no head gaskets, lol.

Aww, just go buy one. They are cheap, fun, comfortable, and easy to work on.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #3
Thanks, that will help.

Reply #4
I say go 5.0 or 2.3
As for the 3.8s:
I had a 85 a while back that blew head gaskets and my sister was just recently driving an 88 that also blew them
Im not saying its all the engines fault but they have definitely left a bad taste in my mouth and I wont get another

My current 2.3 has been rock solid, I beat on it everyday and I just love it
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout: