Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 Thunderbird Weather Stripping/Rubber Parts (Read 1611 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 Thunderbird Weather Stripping/Rubber Parts

After 2.5 years, I went up to the shop performing the restoration work on my 1987 TBird.  I started out with an estimate of $8500.  Well...it went way over that and I'm finding flaws here and there.

I need some input on a few items.  The shop either lost or simply chose not to install some of the rubber seals.  The is one that should be on the back of the nose that softens the closing of the hood.  I have search for a diagram that would give me the part name and number.  No luck.  I am attaching a picture (100_0229 (2)) for input from the forum.  There are seven 1.25 to 1.5 inch flat metal tabs just under the back edge of the nose.  Can anyone tell me if there is an universal rubber molding product that will work?

Then there is the hood to cowl seal.  I get the feeling they did not install that as well.  Can anyone tell from the picture (100

_0228(2))?

My next questionable install has to do with the roof rail.  Is there suppose to be a seal under the molding?  I lifted up on the molding for this picture (100_0232(2)).

The last for for tonight is the rear window molding.  I found a brand new one, bought it and had it shipped to the restoration shop...and they either lost it, misplaced it or it's just poor workmanship.  Is there an universal rubber window molding that could replace the seal/molding combination?  My laptop is not cooperating with my attempt to reduce the file size on this last picture.

I'll send pics of a full view of my car later.  The color is Ford's Red Candy 2 Metallic.  It is a gorgeous color for a Thunderbird.

Once I resolve my outstanding issues with the paint job, I'll move on to the interior.  I'm looking at a pair of ProCar seats to replace the stock seats in my Base V6.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and support.

Alan87Bird

Reply #1
There is a rubber seal behind the header panel (or back of the nose as you say). I think you should be able to use some universal molding for it. I'll take a picture of what's on my car (the factory stuff) tomorrow for you.

As far as the roof rail/filler panel goes I'm not sure. I'm fairly certain I can't even lift that piece off on my car. At least I've never tried to.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Thank you, thunderjet302.  A picture would be helpful.

Reply #3
Here's the style of weatherstrip you need for where the hood meets the header panel (or back of the nose as you say).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Great.  I'll start looking for this trim for the header.

BTW - your ride looks really nice.