Skip to main content
Topic: Rear brake question (Read 2417 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear brake question

Hey guys, new to the forum and I've done some searches but can't find an answer. I acquired an 87 Thunderbird LX and I'm in the process of getting her road worthy again. Anyway I have a simple question. Is their a trick to getting the rear drums off? I've tried everything short of bringing out the sledge hammer. :) Once I take the tire off shouldn't this thing just slip off? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rear brake question

Reply #1
Make sure the ebrake isn't on....

Also sometimes a ridge builds up and the drum requires some persuasion. You could always remove the adjuster plug and retract the brakes to help a bit.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Rear brake question

Reply #2
Quote from: jandmmustangs;451410
Make sure the ebrake isn't on....

Also sometimes a ridge builds up and the drum requires some persuasion. You could always remove the adjuster plug and retract the brakes to help a bit.

Thanks for the reply! So their is nothing that's "supposed" to be holding it other than years of build up? Do you happen to know of a diagram somewhere that would show me where the adjuster plug is? This is my first car with drums and I've been at a loss here. Thanks again!

Rear brake question

Reply #3
It's an oval shaped rubber plug at the bottom, on the inside of the backing plate. Sometimes the rubber plug is gone and there will just be the hole. If you don't have a brake adjuster tool, a nice big flat screwdriver will work just as well.

Each side goes one certain way to loosen, the opposite to tighten. You'll figure it out :)

Loosen 'em up a bit, they'll slide right off.. ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Rear brake question

Reply #4
Finally able to get in the garage and it worked like a charm! Thanks for the help. So now I'm trying to figure out if I have 9" or 10" rear drums? I wrote down the following numbers on off the drums but can't find any reference online. These are the numbers D9BC-1126-AA and J166. It's any 87 LX with the 5.0. Anywhere else I can look for a part # or  something telling me which I have? Everything including the backing plate is pretty rusted up. **Update** Measuring the outside diameter of the drum is about 11.75"... I'm thinking I have the 10" brakes then. Would that be a good assumption? Thanks again guys!

Rear brake question

Reply #5
Are the drums smooth, or finned?

If finned, they're the 9 inch, if smooth, they're ten inchers. :)

An '87 LX with 5.0 *should* have the 10" brakes, but won't always. I've personally came across Base 5,0 cars with 9 inch rears...I think it depends on the option package, and such. There's other folks that can break it down much more in depth than I can. EricCoolCats, TurboCoupe50, and Thunderchicken can fill in the missing pieces :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Rear brake question

Reply #6
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;451570
Are the drums smooth, or finned?

If finned, they're the 9 inch, if smooth, they're ten inchers. :)

An '87 LX with 5.0 *should* have the 10" brakes, but won't always. I've personally came across Base 5,0 cars with 9 inch rears...I think it depends on the option package, and such. There's other folks that can break it down much more in depth than I can. EricCoolCats, TurboCoupe50, and Thunderchicken can fill in the missing pieces :)

They're smooth. Thank you!

Rear brake question

Reply #7
All but one of my 7 or 8 86-87 5.0's had 9" rears. Interestingly, one of my 4 87 v-6's had 10".
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com