Skip to main content
Topic: Reliability of the 3.8 (Read 3615 times) previous topic - next topic

Reliability of the 3.8

I recently had a head gasket blow out on my '85 T-Bird. The engine started to overheat as well. My mechanic says it's probably going to need a new head. My concern is that with the inherent problems with the aluminum heads, what's the likelihood of this happening again in the near future? Is there some sort of modification that I can do to minimize the risk of another head gasket failure?
Would it be simpler to just replace the engine with something else?
I don't know?
Cornfed85

1985 Thunderbird - 3.8 V6, C5  :ford:  :birdsmily:

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #1
It depends...if the block is okay then replacing the heads is the most efficient way to solve the problem. New heads, good gaskets, and new bolts are the key.

These are the heads I used for my '84:
http://www.cylinder-heads.com/cylinder-heads/1873/ford/taurus/3.8-ltr-6-cyl-ohv-cams-fits-84-97/

They were brand new castings at the time I got mine (hecho en mexico) but it's hard to tell if they still are now. These are the E4SE castings (1984-87).

Will head or head gasket failure happen again? Eventually, yes. But that's hard to determine at any point. You could get 10,000 or 100,000 miles out of them.

Is this a daily driver or just a weekend/show car? And if you want to drop in another engine, are you prepared to do a complete motor swap with all the wiring, suspension, and engine bay swapouts? Those are the questions you have to ask yourself.

(It's been about 5K miles since the new heads were installed on mine. No issues whatsoever. But it's a show-only car so I don't really drive it much.)

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #2
I must have been lucky. I have had several 3.8s, and I have never had a head gasket blow. But, I drive them pretty easy.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #3
Quote from: CoogarXR;451193
I must have been lucky. I have had several 3.8s, and I have never had a head gasket blow. But, I drive them pretty easy.

I think the 87 and down 3.8 cars were less pr0ne to popping. The 88 and up cars liked to do it at will :hick:

If I remember correctly the reason the 3.8 tends to pop head gaskets is a design flaw in the cooling system not the fact that it has an iron block and aluminum heads. The Ford 4.6 2V has an iron block and aluminum heads and goes hundreds of thousands of miles with nary an issue. Thousands of guys are running 5.0s with aluminum heads and no issues (unless they boost the  out of the engine ;))
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;451195
I think the 87 and down 3.8 cars were less pr0ne to popping. The 88 and up cars liked to do it at will :hick:

If I remember correctly the reason the 3.8 tends to pop head gaskets is a design flaw in the cooling system not the fact that it has an iron block and aluminum heads. The Ford 4.6 2V has an iron block and aluminum heads and goes hundreds of thousands of miles with nary an issue. Thousands of guys are running 5.0s with aluminum heads and no issues (unless they boost the  out of the engine ;))
Correct, there are narrow passageways at one end of head that only a small section of gasket separates compression, oil & coolant...

AKAIK the early ones are just as bad if not worse than later versions, I know a friend did gaskets twice on a '84 LTD... Those early heads are pr0ne to crack as well, lower section where machined for head bolts has a sharp 90* trough cut into them that can crack... After seeing issues his '84 had(first time was '87/'88), I've always walked a wide path around anything with a Ford 3.8, but of course I've never considered anything less than eight cylinders as a complete engine...

Swapping requires lots of changes, especially on the pre-'88... Always best to find a parts car, but they are getting hard to find these days, especially with a good running 5.0...

Any Fox Bird has become a rarity around here...

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #5
Ok, thanks guys.
The car isn't a daily driver, but I do put 5-7000 miles on it per year. I want it to be reliable and I'd really like to not have to worry about this ever happening again.
Cornfed85

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #6
Cats are even harder to find anymore. How many miles did you get on the current gaskets?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #7
Mine had 84,000 miles. I'm really considering just putting a V8.
Cornfed85

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #8
Use a Multi-Layer Steel headgasket and either new bolts, or studs.  (I like head studs for just about everything) Be sure the machine shop refinishes the gasket surface to the correct RA for the gaskets you choose.  The head gasket was always the problem, and it started in 89 or so when Ford changed suppliers.  Nowadays if you're not using a MLS gasket on a bi-metal engine you're just asking for it.

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #9
I'm thinking that may be the route I go.
Cornfed85

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #10
Check out supersix motorsports.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #11
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;451221
Use a Multi-Layer Steel headgasket and either new bolts, or studs.  (I like head studs for just about everything) Be sure the machine shop refinishes the gasket surface to the correct RA for the gaskets you choose.

Does the block have the proper roughness for MLS?

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #12
Usually the block is OK, you have to be careful how you clean the deck surface, no sanders or die grinders or sand paper, not even scotchbrite.  These days, they want us to use a plastic ser, but I still use a clean new straight razor blade with some shop towel and brake cleaner.

Reliability of the 3.8

Reply #13
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;451260
Usually the block is OK, you have to be careful how you clean the deck surface, no sanders or die grinders or sand paper, not even scotchbrite.  These days, they want us to use a plastic ser, but I still use a clean new straight razor blade with some shop towel and brake cleaner.

Who is using a die grinder, Scotchbrite, or sandpaper on a deck surface? Those things leave particles that get everywhere inside an engine. I've always used a new, clean, straight razor blade. It gets everything off fine without leaving a nasty bunch of shavings or particles behind. Just hold it at a 90* angle to the deck surface and se away.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.