Skip to main content
Topic: Will '83 9" drums fit an '88 TC rear in place of discs? (Read 1315 times) previous topic - next topic

Will '83 9" drums fit an '88 TC rear in place of discs?

I have searched and read a lot about brakes and rear ends lately, and I am guessing that I won't really know until I try it, but maybe someone here knows already...

I picked up a 8.8" TC rear end with the intention of upgrading my '83 Bird. As it turns out, the TC discs, brake hoses, and rotors are trashed, and some unexpected expenses are preventing me from replacing those parts for a while. Adding insult to injury, I still need to obtain the adjustable proportioning valve. Ordinarily, I would just hold off on performing the swap until I had all of the required parts, but I unfortunately have a rather bent axle  that of contributing to some wonky tire wear.

Seeing as I just replaced the drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware on the original 7.5" rear, I started wondering if I couldn't just swap the refurbished 9" drum setup on to the 8.8" axle, giving me straight axles so that I won't waste the new set of tires the car desperately needs, and as a bonus giving me the locking differential that I will need to make it up the hill to get out of my driveway when Winter hits.

I think it should fit, but I am afraid the disc mounting bracket welded to the axle tube may interfere with the drum backing plate. Does anyone know off hand?

Reply #1
I have those on my TC rear. I cut off those welded brackets you spoke of. I also had to use an earlier ('84 I think) brake drum as it's deeper than the '88 drums on the 7.5 rear because the earlier Fox T-Bird 7.5 rear was narrower like the TC 8.8 rear. The 7.5 rear (the housing) is wider than the 8.8. But it'll all work. I've had them for years.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Thank you for the Information, even if it is sort of bad news. Since I do plan to install the disc setup later, I was hoping to avoid cutting off required parts.

I suppose I could just weld them back on at that point, but it sort of screws up the whole 'painting the rear end while it is out of the car' plans that I have. Man, that is so disappointing.

Reply #3
My worthless two cents…
I think you would be way ahead of the game if you sourced an other complete disc brake TC 8.8, rather than Micky Mousing what you have. By doing what you intend to do, that it will cost you more and the result is you have a botched up rear. Just me...