Skip to main content
Topic: Need Tire & Wheel Help for my 87 TBird. (Read 1662 times) previous topic - next topic

Need Tire & Wheel Help for my 87 TBird.

I'm an original owner of a 87 Thunderbird Sport 5.0L. I've never been happy with how my car handled in any weather condition be it dry, rain or snow no mater the brand of tires that were on the car. To me the car is just to lite ( NASCAR Loose ) in the rear end. I've had the car spin out pulling out a parking lot on to a street. In the rain there is absolutely no traction from a stoplight. Then forget about driving the car in 4 or more inches of snow. The time has come to get new tires for the car after one blew out on the x-way at 60 MPH. My tire research has turned up that there is very limited 215/70/14 tires now days. So I was considering doing a plus size tire and wheel change and I don't have to change the speedo gear in the trans so I want to stay with the factory tire diameter which is 25.9 inches. This makes possible tire sizes of 225/50/17, 255/45/17, 245/45/18, 255/40/18 according to . I know the 225/50/17 will fit with no problem but not sure about the others.

My questions are, what All-Season brand tire has the best traction. What is the largest wheel/tire combination ( want to have the same size front to back ) that will clear all of the suspension and fenders. Also need to know the wheel offset.

Thanks for any help.

Reply #1
Here's a link to a wheel and tire size comparison chart, http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp it allows you to plug in your wheel and tire dimensions and the wheel and tire sizes your thinking about and get the clearance differences. I just put 18x9.5 rims with a 23mm offset on the rear with 275/35-18 and 18x8 with 30mm offset and 235/40-18 up front. Still not much traction but the 351 with the massive cam and and performance parts, t5, and 3.73 rear end gears who would expect traction with just 275 width tires (might need a NASCAR restrictor plate).

Reply #2
do you have a picture bepperson70

Reply #3
If you're looking for something to use year round, don't go much wider than stock ... think snowshoes vs. skis.  Continental Extreme Contact DWS, and the updated version DWS 06, are probably the best performance all-season tires for snow traction.  They are available in 225/55R16 and 225/50R17.  I definitely would NOT suggest going with a 245 or 255 width tire unless you are going to run different tires for winter.

That would actually be my suggestion, put whatever you want on for 3 seasons of driving, and then get some dedicated winter tires that fit your stock wheels.  Firestone still offers their Winterforce in 205/75R14, which would be perfect.  They are a bit noisy on dry pavement, but other than that are good performers.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #4
Quote from: Tallsurfer;450921
do you have a picture bepperson70

I haven't taken any pics yet, the wheels are bad ass but the rest of the car is pretty ugly! I'll try to post them soon.