Skip to main content
Topic: Getting Rid of Power Steering Pump Whine Once and For All (Read 5920 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting Rid of Power Steering Pump Whine Once and For All

As you guys may already know our power steering pumps are notorious for whining and I'm looking for a solid solution
I've replaced my pump a couple times over the time I've owned my TC in hopes of getting rid of the whine and nothing has worked.

Ive flushed old PS fluid out, gotten all the air out, replaced all lines and clamps and I still have noise, there is no new pumps available and AFAIK there is no easy conversion to use a newer better pump. Ive heard of the agr pump but in all honesty I'd rather invest the money elsewhere on my car.

What I'd like to know is what is the culprit of the sound on worn pumps?
I've seen NOS rotor assemblies for sale for a decent price and I'm thinking of getting one along with a seal kit to do a proper rebuild
Would this make any difference or am I just g in the wind with this one?
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #1
I bought my new pump from Autozone. Also swapped the rack and tie rods.....I filled it with half trans fluid, and half Lucas steering fluid. No noise, no whining.....And with the new pump and rack, my car turns esier than it ever has.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
I just had to put a new rack under my 88 about 200 miles ago.  Does the pump have to be new or is it the fluid combo that stopped that whine?  All three of mine whine.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #3
I just picked up a new rack from A-Z . Got a new pump while I was there. Having it installed today and hope to get rid of that "Crown Vic" feel in the steering. ( Upgraded to a TC/Mustang GT ratio unit )
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #4
I have had a million foxes, and I must have just been lucky (or deaf). I have only heard a whine when I hit the steering stops or when they were low on fluid. So you are saying it whines all the time?
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #5
Quote from: CoogarXR;450753
I have had a million foxes, and I must have just been lucky (or deaf). I have only heard a whine when I hit the steering stops or when they were low on fluid. So you are saying it whines all the time?

Me too. My Thunderbird and Mark VII don't make a whine noise that I can here. Maybe the noise is there but I'm used to it?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
I swapped it all because I figured, if I'm going to all the trouble to swap the rack and tie rods, why not add a new pump, KNOW I have all good parts and call it a day.

As far as what stopped the whine....I didn't have a whine to begin with , because the pump was new, and hadn't been run yet. I have always trusted Lucas and ATF mixture (50/50) and never had a leak or a whine with mine. My car leaks no fluids. That, to me, is a HUGE victory.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Quote from: vinnietbird;450763
My car leaks no fluids. That, to me, is a HUGE victory.

Mine leaks condensation when the A/C is on:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
Hey Vinnie when did you get the pump from AZ
I haven't  been able to find a new option for our steering pumps,  only reman units

Mine whines moderately loud when I'm backing out of a spot or turning at low speeds
My last pump wasn't this loud so I'm thinking about just rebuilding the one in my trunk that I was supposed  to send back
I've ran only type F ATF,  do you think the Lucas really makes a difference?
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo

Reply #9
I got my pump a few weeks ago. I'm sure it's a reman unit, but, it makes no noise at all. As far a s Lucas making a huge difference, I honestly can't say for sure, BUT, I CAN say, I never have whining pumps.

Reply #10
I have the whine too and it's a reman (Cardone I believe). I heard it's always best to get a Motorcraft power steering pump like it originally had, though they are pricey. I too did a complete flush and added Lucas power steering conditioner with the ATF Type F....still whining. The stock pump never made noise but developed a leak so I had to replace it. The only time it made noise was when it was low on fluid

Reply #11
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but still no leaks anywhere on the car, no whining from the steering pump, and all is well.

Reply #12
You must be lol
I've had zero leaks but can't seem to get rid of the whine
Could a bad rack cause it?  When car is on,  the fluid running through the reservior looks silvery
It's not metal but looks to be micro bubbles. I took some out while running and no metal at all so I doubt anything is actually bad, just noisy and I'm guessing it's because of air.
BTW I'm running auto zone type F ATF

Reply #13
Have you tried something like this. I like to put a catch can in the vacuum line so that no fluid gets into the vacuum pump.

http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2020-0002.pdf

Reply #14
Yea I actually did that a couple days ago but the noise is still there
I needed that vacuum pump anyways so I bought one
I'm fairly certain I just got a pump that is too far gone to operate quietly
I just bit the bullet and ordered the guts for the power steering pump, so I'm going to rebuild the pump that's off my car already.
It was not as noisy as the one that I'm running right now so I figure it should have parts that are less worn.
I'll try out that Lucas power steering fluid though.