Skip to main content
Topic: Has anyone swapped out a 5 speed auto for their 4 speed auto? (Read 1423 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anyone swapped out a 5 speed auto for their 4 speed auto?

I was looking to buy a Turbo Coupe, but its got a five speed manual. That would be great for me, but not for my wife.

So, I was looking into how to beef up the 4l auto, and found a truck site where everyone was ditching the 4l, and going with a newer five speed auto [of course this might just work only for the V6 Fords that had the 4l auto so, bell housing issues might be the killer].

I've still got a 2.3l bell for a C4, but I've got to have overdrive with that little 4 banger.

So, anyone know, or know someone who does?

Reply #1
Quote from: M-train;450731
I was looking to buy a Turbo Coupe, but its got a five speed manual. That would be great for me, but not for my wife.

So, I was looking into how to beef up the 4l auto, and found a truck site where everyone was ditching the 4l, and going with a newer five speed auto [of course this might just work only for the V6 Fords that had the 4l auto so, bell housing issues might be the killer].

I've still got a 2.3l bell for a C4, but I've got to have overdrive with that little 4 banger.

So, anyone know, or know someone who does?

I believe the 2.3 bell pattern is unique to those engines... Could probably make a adapter but getting the new trans to shift would likely be a bigger issue as those are PCM controlled... Just swapping to a factory A4LD trans is a lot of work because they are longer, require short drive shaft, special cross member and O/D is PCM controlled... Plus as far as durability, the A4LD was a sorry trans...

Reply #2
This is going to come across as sounding rude, but I honestly don't mean for it to be....

What would be wrong with the wife learning to drive a manual?
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #3
Quote from: Scott D;450742
This is going to come across as sounding rude, but I honestly don't mean for it to be....

What would be wrong with the wife learning to drive a manual?

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahaaha................sorry, but a little Asian woman driving a stick is a threat to national security, the stereo types are true.

Actually I did get her to drive an SVO Mustang for a while, but even so I would also be driving the car on the interstate. Once we went on a 6 hour trip to see my family in our 86 SVO Mustang, and got into gridlock traffic about three times on the trip going, and comming. That was NO FUN with a stick.

If those 5 speeds are electronically controlled then all bets would be off unless someone made a controller for it like the 4r70W, but I kinda doubt it. Plus, like TC50 said, I'll bet the housings are for V6/V8 so ................

I guess the next option would be to build a stout 4L. From what I've read the 4L is basically a C3 with an overdrive which really isn't bad as the C3 is a lot like a C4.

Back years ago there was guy Joe Morgan who was a turbo 4 racer. IIRC, he said you could build a 4L to take plenty of abuse.