Skip to main content
Topic: Explorer Intake vacuum lines... Car idling badly... Help (Read 5058 times) previous topic - next topic

Explorer Intake vacuum lines... Car idling badly... Help

I just need some help on what I can cap off and what I absolutely need to run so that the car will idle better.

X

If I put my finger over the larger hole, the car shuts off.  So I know I need to run it. 

X

Thank you!
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Engine:  FR B303 cam, GT40P heads w/ Trickflow valve springs, Explorer upper/lower intake, SR cold air intake w/ MAF
Exhaust:  shorty headers, BBK O-R X-pipe, glasspacks w/ turn downs
Misc:  8.8 rear, Saleen SC replicas 17x8/17x10, Mach 1 front springs/SN95 rear springs
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

Reply #1
Are you maf already?

There shouldn't be any vacuum leaks or un capped ports at all. Everything before should be hooked up.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Just cover any vacuum ports you're not using with vacuum caps. That's pretty much it.

Edit: Does this help?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Quote from: Haystack;450637
Are you maf already?

There shouldn't be any vacuum leaks or un capped ports at all. Everything before should be hooked up.

I have yet to convert the car to MAF, but I have everything needed to.  Could that be the reason for the funny idling?
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Engine:  FR B303 cam, GT40P heads w/ Trickflow valve springs, Explorer upper/lower intake, SR cold air intake w/ MAF
Misc:  8.8 rear, Saleen SC replicas 17x8/17x10, Mach 1 front springs/SN95 rear springs
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;450638
Just cover any vacuum ports you're not using with vacuum caps. That's pretty much it.

Edit: Does this help?

What is the meaning of the tape?  Are those the places that can be capped off?
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

Reply #5
Stock configuration vacuum lines.....

If you're having an issue where the car shuts off by capping a vacuum source that has been deleted and have not removed the MAP sensor from the equation, you need to reset the base idle.  Leaving that port open to the atmosphere is introducing a rather large vacuum leak.....

Since you are still running Speed Density, it is necessary to run the line to the MAP sensor.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
Quote from: GDawg148;450653
I have yet to convert the car to MAF, but I have everything needed to.  Could that be the reason for the funny idling?

A B303 cam is going to run really choppy on SD. I'm a bit suprised it idles at all.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Been following this thread. I notice GDawg's signature says he has a "58mm throttle body" ?? Shouldn't he be running a 65 mm? Could this be part of the problem?
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #8
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;450673
Been following this thread. I notice GDawg's signature says he has a "58mm throttle body" ?? Shouldn't he be running a 65 mm? Could this be part of the problem?

Nope. A too small throttle body won't cause that issue. A B303 cam/SD/vacuum leak will though.