Skip to main content
Topic: Got rear ended Monday night..... (Read 8645 times) previous topic - next topic

Got rear ended Monday night.....

In my 2011 Focus. I bought this car new and this is the third time it's been rear ended. This is the worst damage (first just scuffed the bumper cover when it was 2 weeks old, second tore a hole in the bumper cover when it was 3 months old).

Doesn't look bad right? Well I was slowing down for a car making a right hand turn (I was going between 10-15mph at the time of impact) when I washiznit by a 2005 Ford Ranger. He hit me because the lady behind him didn't stop and plowed into his truck at 35mph in her 2000 Saturn. I wasn't injured but the Focus took a hit. You probably can't tell in the picture but the bumper cover is torn in multiple places, the metal bumper is smashed in pretty badly, the bumper support it mangled, both taillights are popped out slightly with the passenger side one being cracked, the trunk while appearing to have no damage is pushed up 1/8-1/4" and the latch is bent rendering it unopenable. Quarter panels are fine which is good news. All in all the lady's insurance is going to be paying around $2000 to fix my Focus and giving me a rental. It goes in Monday to get fixed. Hopefully the last time it has to visit the body shop......
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
Rear-ended 3 times in the same car? That's nuts. Remind me not to drive through your town ;)
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
Better yet, remind me not to tailgate you...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Quote from: CoogarXR;449575
Rear-ended 3 times in the same car? That's nuts. Remind me not to drive through your town ;)

It's a small town with 3 million people, and close to 8 million in the metro area. Easy to avoid :hick:

Quote from: Thunder Chicken;449576
Better yet, remind me not to tailgate you...

I wish everyone else would stop. Heck I'm at doing at least the speed limit most of the time ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Back before The Corral got sold and I used to love reading the Lounge, there was a guy who put, as his location, "****cago"

I can never think "Chicago" without muttering to myself through gritted teeth, "shiznitcago" :rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #5
My 95 SHO Taurus which i purchased new in Nov. 96 was rear ended 3 times in a year all 3 times i was dead stopped at red lights.  People cannot drive......

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #6
Quote from: ZondaC12;449579
Back before The Corral got sold and I used to love reading the Lounge, there was a guy who put, as his location, "****cago"

I can never think "Chicago" without muttering to myself through gritted teeth, "shiznitcago" :rollin:
Lol Aw man that's funny

Either way that sucks though. My car has taken some very minor door dings from idiot ppl (one actually being today while I was in the car) but it would kill me if somebody caused some real damage to my car.
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #7
Kinda the way my old astro van collected shopping carts. I don't know how many times that van had a cart up against it or cart marks when I came out of the store. The kicker was a Home Depot lumber cart. That left a big orange dent in the door.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #8
When I read the title to this thread I was thinking "Noooo not the T-bird".  Still sucks about the Focus but I'd rather see it hit than your primo 'bird.

My T-bird has been in several accidents.  1.) when my aunt owned it from new down in Louisiana someone ran a red light and hit front drivers side fender 2.) Dad had someone back into it and take out both tail lights 3.) I got rear ended and pushed in the bumper back in '01 or so 4.) I crashed it into a ditch drag racing my buddy in '00 (I was winning!), so the car got to go spend time on a frame rack and got junkyard front fenders/bumper/lights installed.  So yeah my car's lucky to still be on the road...it has taken some lumps over the years.

Hate to say this but odds are if you keep the Focus long enough, some other jackass will run into it sooner or later!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #9
Quote from: ZondaC12;449579

People from Da Burbs sometimes say that. Because they are jealous we have all the water and sell it to them at double the price we pay in the city ;)

Quote from: MY83T;449582
My 95 SHO Taurus which i purchased new in Nov. 96 was rear ended 3 times in a year all 3 times i was dead stopped at red lights.  People cannot drive......

Well at least my Focus went four year between number 2 and number 3 :hick:. I'm guessing that people still don't understand what brake lights mean.....

Quote from: 50tbrd88;449592
When I read the title to this thread I was thinking "Noooo not the T-bird".  Still sucks about the Focus but I'd rather see it hit than your primo 'bird.

My T-bird has been in several accidents.  1.) when my aunt owned it from new down in Louisiana someone ran a red light and hit front drivers side fender 2.) Dad had someone back into it and take out both tail lights 3.) I got rear ended and pushed in the bumper back in '01 or so 4.) I crashed it into a ditch drag racing my buddy in '00 (I was winning!), so the car got to go spend time on a frame rack and got junkyard front fenders/bumper/lights installed.  So yeah my car's lucky to still be on the road...it has taken some lumps over the years.

Hate to say this but odds are if you keep the Focus long enough, some other jackass will run into it sooner or later!

Geesh your Thunderbird has been through quite a bit. It's lucky you guys really like it or it could have ended up a Chinese refrigerator years ago. Kudos to you for keeping it going.

But yeah it's incidents like this that keep me from daily driving my Thunderbird. I don't usually take it out during rush hour or peak travel times because that's when most of the idiots are out, especially the ones who can't see brake lights.

Reply #10
My white tbird (the one i call thundercat) got hit about 4 times, plus when i had surprise butt shag with a caddilac and put the cougar front end on it.

Twice i was sitting stopped at a light and someone ran into me, and both times i hit the flashers to see what the damage was and the guy drove away. I was gonna chase them, but it tripped my inertia switch both times. Second time it broke the trunk latch, and i ended up replacing the trunk lid since the lock was busted out anyways.

Third time, i was driving home from work and got pulled over for no tail lights. When i got out to check, someone backed into me at my work parkinglot and apparently busted out both tailights and somehow i didn't notice backing over them when i left.

Fourth time i went out to start the car and it wouldn't crank. Went to pop the trunk and i couldn't get the trunk lid open, then i noticed my bumper was pushed into my tail lights. It again broke my trunk latch. I had to beat on the trunk lid with a hammer to get it open, then i had to bend the rear tail light area back out 3 inches so the trunk would shut again. This all happened in thru first three months i owned the car.

The last time i wrecked it was 100% my fault. I was slowing down to a red light and my kid dropped his bottle (he was 1 at Tue time). I bent over to pick it up as the light turned green and started accelerating as i tried to hand it to him. A car pulled out right infront of me and somehow i didn't notice, didn't even tap the brakes.

My last thunderbird i was parked at my work in front of an industrial building and a semi truck backed into me while i was sitting in the car waiting for starting time. He only sped the bumper, and i let him go without reporting it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
I'm guessing that people still don't understand what brake lights mean.....

No, that would require them looking up from their smartphones...

When I had my first T-Bird, the light sage green 85 V6, I was in three accidents in three days. Day one: Driving home in a snow storm, a pizza delivery driver coming the other way decided to do a u-turn right in front of me. I T-boned his Sidekick. He tried to say it was my fault because all four of his wheels were on the ground. I don't know where that logic came from, but when we went back to his pizza joint the owner of the place gave me $200 for my headlight bucket and fender, and a pizza for my trouble (he didn't want it to go through insurance, and my T-Bird was a beater, so I agreed).

Day Two: When pulling into the employee parking lot at work, I noticed one of the salesmen backing out of his spot. I stopped to let him out (and to steal his spot). He started backing right toward me, so I honked the horn. He looked, waved, and kept on coming until he hit my car. He only hit the same headlight bucket and fender, so I wasn't worried about it. He broke the tail light and rear bumper on his Saturn.

Day three (this one was the best one): While waiting in a line to pay a bridge toll a woman in a Corolla ahead of me started coasting back toward me. I honked the horn, she flipped me the bird without even looking, and continued coasting back until she hit me. She then drove ahead and paid her toll, and I did the same, then followed her into the bridge toll building parking lot.

I got out and walked up to her car and said "You just coasted in to me."
She said "No I didn't, you rear-ended me."
I said "Lady, there's cameras on those toll booths, let's go inside and take a look!"
She said "FINE", put her car in reverse, revved to redline, dumped the clutch, and flew backward across that parking lot as fast as she could.

WHAM! She hit one of those yellow painted parking lot barriers, and her rear wheels went up and over it. She then put it in first, floored it again, and drove off the barrier. Unfortunately she did this so quickly and violently that when her rear wheels came down off that curb the suspension bottomed, the curb went up between the wheels and rear bumper cover, and as her momentum carried her forward it ripped the bumper cover off. She finally came to a stop, and I walked up to her door with her bumper cover under my arm, shaking my head. She was bawling her eyes out behind the wheel.
I said "I guess it doesn't really matter who hit who now, does it?"
She sobbed "I thought you were honking to get me to hurry up!"
I said "No, I was honking because you were coasting toward me!" I then opened her back door, slid her bumper cover into the back seat, closed the door, and told her to have a nice day...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #12
That is a hell of a three day adventure....

Reply #13
So I got my rental car today. 2014 Nissan Versa. My brother and sister in-law have an up level SL version. They like it. I have the Enterprise rental special SV. I do not like it. It has A/C, PW, PL, and a radio. That's it. Hell it doesn't even have a USB port (the Thunderbird and Mark VII each have 2!). 1.6L I4 with 109hp. It. Is. So. Slow. I mean I think the Focus is slow but the 2.0 in it will zing to 6500rpm no problem, which makes it feel faster than it really is. I won't get it back for 4-5 days. I can't wait. I was hoping to get the Mazda 3 they had on the lot but someone had already reserved it :mad:.

Reply #14
Well almost 10 days later it's back to normal. I'm just going to have to figure out how to straighten out my license plate and it should be good as before. Jokingly the body shop guy said "see you in another six months to a year". I hope he's wrong :hick:.