Skip to main content
Topic: 83 Thunderbird tc suspension problems (Read 2842 times) previous topic - next topic

83 Thunderbird tc suspension problems

On my thunderbird it has the original suspension on it, the car has only 47,xxx on it but the suspension is in dire need to be replaced but I am having no luck in finding parts or what can fit on it, I'm looking to upgrade the suspension a little to have better handling

Reply #1
Fox tbird/cougar = 79-93 mustang + 94-98 mustang for the most part. Virtually anything you can do to a mustang will bolt in place, with a few minor differences. Believe it or not, there were quite a few performance oriented tbird/cougars used throughout racing series, and with a bit of leg work, are relatively easy to upgrade.

My suggestion, read up on coolcats.net in the modifications section, gives you an idea what types of things interchange and can work. Decide if you want better brakes and/or a 5 lug upgrade and go from there.

Lots of guys here run mustang parts as an upgrade, and many fit and function like stock and work well.

Good luck, and if you have further questions or need clarification, come back and let us know. We are all car enthusiast here, and don't mind helping out.

Welcome to our forum.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
What parts do you want to upgrade?
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #3
Since all of the bushings, ball joints, struts, shocks, and springs are probably shot even with only 47K miles on it its just time in the river.  If you are wanting improvement then you can do the following:

Find a set of 87-93 Fox Mustang front control arms, get the front and rear bushings (Moog would be my choice), new ball joints (again, Moog would be my choice), and rebuild these control arms.  Look on here or any of the Fox Mustang forums and this has been covered several times on how to do it.  You can opt for a bushing "upgrade" like delrin or urethane but the car will ride harsh...been there done that.

Fox Mustang front struts will work on the car as well but this will either take spacers to make them work with the existing 10" brakes (if they are original) or you can opt at this time to install 11" brakes which would be a good idea.  This has been covered on here multiple times so use the search function and that should come up.  If you want to stay four lug and go to all disc brakes see this thread on that discussion as it is pretty good:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?38878-My-quot-bigger-and-slightly-better-brakes-quot-idea

If you want to do to five lug and all disc brakes use the search function on that as well as it has been beat to shaging death here.

So back to the suspension, now that you know that Fox Mustang front struts will work on your car the bad new is that the Fox or SN95 Mustang rear shocks (no difference in compressed, installed, or extended height) will not work on our cars without some Chuck C adapters (again, use the search function) which I don't think there are any available right now but at some point he should make another batch.  They still make the rear shocks for our cars so I would suggest KYB for these as they are pretty decent and not too costly.  For me the Monroe's are just not performance oriented and the KYB's barely qualify if at all.  Dampers have now been discussed for stock style suspensions.  If you want to venture off into the coil over world you will have to have a set of Chuck's adapters in the rear as I do not know of a single Thunderbird shock that will work with coil overs.  Coil overs are expensive if you are just looking for a little more than a stock suspension but if you want to go there we can off up some solutions.

Springs...Moog makes some nice replacement springs if you want to keep the car stock height but if you want to drop it an 1 to 1.5" then a set of springs for a SN95 Mustang would be the way to go and you guessed it...use the search button as this is another dead shaging horse.

For the rear control arms you can get the bushings and rebuild the stockers but I would say big waste of money.  Go here and order uppers and lowers and call it money well spent and time saved (another horse that looks down from the clouds above and wishes we would quit whipping his ass):

http://www.cheperformance.com/ProdList.asp?scat=30

Now, with these older cars and the AWESOME tolerances that Ford put them together with I would strongly urge you to spend the $$$ and buy a set of Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates to get the front geometry squared up and so you can get it all into proper alignment.  Some will say they are not necessary but by the time you buy the upper strut mount replacement garbage at a parts store you would be half way to this deliciousness:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Thunderbird-Caster-Camber-Plates-1983-1988-P258.aspx

And as the late but great Stuart Scott would say, "Booyah boy, use the Search button!"

So now you just need to start buying parts, put some back into it, go get it aligned, and then drive the piss out of it.  All of this has been talked about on here quite a bit and with some time on the board and some use of the search function you will see what I am talking about.  By no means am I saying this is the only way to do it I am just saying this is what I would do being how old the car is and not knowing much about it.

One thing I will ask is what engine is in the car?  What rims are on the car?  You need to post up info like that as all of it will affect suspension and brakes. Oh, and use the search button...its your buddy.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
Is this the horse? ;)

X

Great suspension summary by the way!
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #5
That's the one...and the beatings continue...

Thanks.  Hoping the OP posts back up as with a little more information on the car I think we can really help 'em out.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #6
I plan to Upgrade it a lot but before I do any suspension ice been trying to find an answer as to what rear end will fit in my bird, it's an 83 2.3 turbo with the 7.5 and I'm looking for an 8.8 but I've read they come in different lengths and I haven't seen any that say what will fit in mine

Reply #7
Darren that write up is sticky worthy. Great job. Op should be greatfull. We are getting better at not flogging the new guy. To the op. Glad you made it here. The 8.8 in our cars have been gone over numerous times. If you search you will find some great info in a spread sheet like doc on rear end that will give you all the info you will ever need one of the members sent alot if time on it.
Good luck enjoy the car and the sight.
P.S.:ttiwwp::
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done