Skip to main content
Topic: My thoughts on the thunderbirds specifially the Turbo coupes......... (Read 1881 times) previous topic - next topic

My thoughts on the thunderbirds specifially the Turbo coupes.........

I've loved the looks of the 87/88 turbo coupes as soon as I saw them

Like I said on another thread I think were the 87/88 tc birds were released today with maybe some minor body mods like bigger dia wheels, and more electronic tech it would be a hit today.

I think the tc's were the link to bridge the gap between performance car [Mustang] and family car [Taurus]. So the younger guy, who wants something that has a bit of performance, but is big enough for the kids riding in the rear, plus plenty of room in the trunk for the grocery's. This car lets him have his cake, and eat it to.

Sporty looks, two door, performance.

For the older guy who wants something with a bit of performance, but more room, and a comfortable ride, the tc offers both.

Also, its a good sleeper car with plenty of indirect after market support as it shares lots of part with the Fox Mustang.

After the 88 tc I really didn't like the next generation as it gained way too many pounds to be anything sporty.

Also, and I almost forgot, I really HATE the newer fuel injected cars as they are waaaay too complicated to work on should you have trouble. I made the mistake of buying a sport version of the Altima in the SE-R. I totally restored this 2005 POS, and found some interesting things like electronic motor mounts.

Electronic motor mounts wouldn't bother me except that when they go bad they take out your ecu. Alternators with clutches, anti theft system that can lock you out of your own car with no way to reset it without a trip to the stealership, bad power steering switch that can make the car undriveable, and the list goes on.

The Thunderbirds are waaay simple in contrast to the 05 NISSAN to repair , and keep running.

What makes you like the Tbirds?

What are your thoughts.

Reply #1
I agree and find the Thunderbirds aged very well--they still look up to date in many details and were predictive rather than derivative in styling.  They fuel mileage is surprising (mine averages 27 mpg in mixed city/highway).  My biggest complaint is that FoMoCo seems to obsolete many parts so quickly (like headlights, taillights, ABS parts and the active suspension struts and shocks), before the aftermarket has a chance to catch up.

Reply #2
Quote from: BornInAFord;449205
I agree and find the Thunderbirds aged very well--they still look up to date in many details and were predictive rather than derivative in styling.  They fuel mileage is surprising (mine averages 27 mpg in mixed city/highway).  My biggest complaint is that FoMoCo seems to obsolete many parts so quickly (like headlights, taillights, ABS parts and the active suspension struts and shocks), before the aftermarket has a chance to catch up.

Keep on dreamin'...

Other than maybe headlights(doubtful), they'll never be any parts for the '87-'88 TC that isn't NOS, used or rebuilt...

Reply #3
There are a few people selling new corner lights on ebay for 87-88 birds.

I spent some time in the drivers seat of my buddies 2001 gt. It felt almost exactly the same as a tbird/cougar, but...

The ride was much better. Every thing seemed much tighter and it was just missing low end torque. It would down shift twice, then you had too much power. It was kinda like an on/off switch. Nothing... nothing... woah, way too much.

They basically killed the mustang and turned it into a tbird for the sn-95 years. The suspension is almost identical, the length width and height (if you cut a foot off the trunk) and interior are all almost identical.

Then you compare the same outside dimension with the newer gt's and even more commonality shows up. 2.3 turbo. 3.7 v-6 and 5.0 v-8... hmm. Where have we seen that combination before? 84 mustangs and 83-88 tbirds.

Instead of changing the new mustangs into a tbird... they should have just called it into tbird ;).

All joking aside. There is a very appealing factor in these cars to me. Simplicity where you need it, and technology where you want it. I like the lack of abs brakes. The v-8 motor, yet it has fuel injection and can get pretty good gas mileage all things considered. Everytime i get in a new car i feel lost. I am 6'5 and i have too much head room in my dads fiesta, yet i still can't feta my knees under the steering wheel on entry or exit easily.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
I like that they are easily upgrade-able because theyre just a luxury fox mustang. I like that most people dont know what my car is. I like that I can fix most things on my car, this is also the car that I learned to fix. My tbird has been in the family it's whole life. And I like that Ive found this forum to answer any questions Ive ever got about my bird.

-Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #5
About the only thing I don't like about these cars is the lack of aftermarket support.  How awesome would it be to buy interior bits, new side moldings, etc....alas it will never happen.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #6
Kids and two doors ruins it for me. Hell, my SUV (Mountaineer) isn't big enough for anything but a quick trip to tow for a meal out or the like. We go to the lake, it's bursting at the seams. 3 kids and all the stuff they require will do that. In a Thunderbird? Hell, nah. Wouldn't even attempt it.

It's about time I found an SUV with 3rd row seating...I need something with power to pull a small trailer, room behind the back seat for odds and ends, groceries, etc, and of course 4x4.

We got out of cars for family haulers a few years ago...maybe a van, and that's a big-assed maybe.

For a fun car, or one to build up, the Tbird works very well, but trust me, with a 6 year old, 5 year old, and an 8 month old, anything over a few minutes and miles would be hell for all concerned. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7
Being able to repair the car is HUGE for me. It would be interesting if you could retro fit the new 2.3l dohc turbo into the T-bird while keeping the factory ecu setup.

You would loose any variable valve timing [assuming its electrical like my stupid Nissan], and you would have to change out the throttle body on the new 2.3l, but Hell that would be a plus for me as I HATE electronic throttle bodies.

The new cars in a few more years will be so far tech'd out that you with either have to own $$$$$ scanner/programming tools just to fix them. I about pooped my pants when I found out my 05 Nissan Altima has electronic MOTOR MOUNTS!.  That isn't too bad in itself, but when they go bad they WILL take out your ecu.

Like someone just said the 87-88 T-birds had just enough tech without being overly complicated.