Skip to main content
Topic: 3G Alternator upgrade (Read 3364 times) previous topic - next topic

3G Alternator upgrade

Hi guys,
I am looking to upgrade my headlights, but I want to upgrade to a 3G alternator before doing so. I found a 3G kit from late model restoration.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-17046K2/Mustang-SVE-130-Amp-Alternator-Upgrade-87-93-50L

Is this a reasonable price to upgrade? Or can it be done MUCH cheaper?

Thanks

Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #1
If you're willing to do some leg work in the pick'n'pull places, you can do it cheaper.

This link may help to give a better understanding on what your option are:

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2679.0.html
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #2
You know that price isn't but but I'm sure warranty claims could be a pain and I bet it's a reman unit

I paid right around $200 for my 3g alternator from Oriellys which was a brand new unit with lifetime warranty
I think it was like another $20 bucks for a connector and wiring
There's plenty of how to's online to not have to buy a kit and still come out ahead
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #3
Hit the junkyard. Get the alt wiring and mega fuse for cheap or free. Buy a mega fuse holder for $10 or less at napa. Get a 12" starter cable for $5 to go from battery to fuse, then another cable to go from fuse to alt.

I bought. Junkyard al with a rebuilt sticker on it for $12. It worked fine, for cheap day. Then i ended up buying a taurus alt for $179.99 with a lifetime warranty.

The only wiring you have to do is to tape up the old wires or remove them, connect the yellow wire to the output stud of the 3g alt, and a butt splice from your old connectors green wire to the new alt plugs green wire and your done.

The junkyard alt fit in my bracket fine, but i clearances it anyways just in case. The new one needed to be reclocked (simple 5 min job) and one bolt hole was too small. I happened to have a large enough drill bit. The top hole also wasn't threaded, so i had to buy a longer bolt and nut.

Overall, i spent between $200-250 using an off the shelf alt. I think you would end up paying about the same either way honestly. I used 6 gauge wire, you could probably get away with an 8 gauge wire and a smaller fuse if you really want to. I used the 175 amp fuse and 6 gauge wire because that is what ford used and it is easy to get at any auto parts store.

Also with a store reman alt, you will always be able to get one, anywhere more likely then not same day in store.

If you can get lucky and get a good alt, you could probably do it for around $50.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #4
Hit the junkyard. Get the alt wiring and mega fuse for cheap or free. Buy a mega fuse holder for $10 or less at napa. Get a 12" starter cable for $5 to go from battery to fuse, then another cable to go from fuse to alt.

I bought. Junkyard al with a rebuilt sticker on it for $12. It worked fine, for cheap day. Then i ended up buying a taurus alt for $179.99 with a lifetime warranty.

The only wiring you have to do is to tape up the old wires or remove them, connect the yellow wire to the output stud of the 3g alt, and a butt splice from your old connectors green wire to the new alt plugs green wire and your done.

The junkyard alt fit in my bracket fine, but i clearances it anyways just in case. The new one needed to be reclocked (simple 5 min job) and one bolt hole was too small. I happened to have a large enough drill bit. The top hole also wasn't threaded, so i had to buy a longer bolt and nut.

Overall, i spent between $200-250 using an off the shelf alt. I think you would end up paying about the same either way honestly. I used 6 gauge wire, you could probably get away with an 8 gauge wire and a smaller fuse if you really want to. I used the 175 amp fuse and 6 gauge wire because that is what ford used and it is easy to get at any auto parts store.

Also with a store reman alt, you will always be able to get one, anywhere more likely then not same day in store.

If you can get lucky and get a good alt, you could probably do it for around $50.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #5
I bought a new lifetime unit from Napa, and pulled the output cable from a 09 Escape in a yard (it has an in-line 175A fuse), I picked up the 1-pin connector for $3 from Napa same time as the alternator.  Still, decent price, but any warranty issues could be tough to deal with.

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #6
I pulled a used Motorcraft alt off a v6 newer tbird for $20.  Bought a wire kit/fuse from online vendor for $45.  I know I overpaid for the wiring.  Still working great 5 yrs later.
Mike

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #7
I used the late model restoration kit my self, so far so good!!!

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #8
now when the headlamps come in play, click on my diy link and there are a couple threads in there on slave relay mods to take all that resistance and heat off the headlamp switch.

theres a mod for regular lamps and those with auto lamps,, mine are still going very very strong.

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #9
How would I upgrade to a 3G alternator on an 86 with a 3.8?

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #10
I would think its the same. Unless the 3.8s got a different alternator/bracket. but i kinda doubt that
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #11
Bracket is different. All you have to do is measure from the bolt holes and figure out which style alt you have. There are only two bolt spacings that I know of. The larger one that's used in trucks and some cars like the crown vic, and our style like the mustangs have.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #12
Stock alternators:

3G Alternator upgrade

Reply #13
Here's a picture of my alternator can you tell me what style it is? X I would also appreciate any specifics on what I will have to do to wire the 3G alt up. Specifically how would I bypass the voltage regulator?

I love my car but buying new batteries and alts every six months is getting old..