Skip to main content
Topic: New guy from NJ (Read 2301 times) previous topic - next topic

New guy from NJ

HI guys,

New to t-birds, long time ford fan. Looking to pick a tbird in the next couple weeks, currently own an 03 mustang and focus st. Need another project, also want something i can register as historic - free from emissions :) .. want to build a street car i can take to the track once in a while and to car shows. Don't see to many t birds in my area, need to change that!!

What im looking to buy:

What I am already working on

New guy from NJ

Reply #1
You weren't down at Cruisin Ocean City MD last week with the stang were you? There's (too) many of them every year but that looks like it belongs haha especially with DR's
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

New guy from NJ

Reply #2
Real roush ?

Looks mean

Welcome

New guy from NJ

Reply #3
na...new baby so im stuck at home (thts what this new project is for lol) ... cloned roush (real ones were too much money - and this one is faster now)...thanks for the compliments. The t bird im looking at doesnt run but looks clean...they are asking 800...good price?...apparently everything "works" and only has 106000 on body and motor

New guy from NJ

Reply #4
Decent price of everything works

I picked up 2 for a grand each

New guy from NJ

Reply #5
that stang,,
since when can exhaust exit forward of the rear tires especially with a passanger compartment above the exit point?
just curious

New guy from NJ

Reply #6
I don't know... This is an actual kit from roush on their production cars... Passes inspection just fine... Don't really notice any fumes.

New guy from NJ

Reply #7
Welcome aboard, this is THE place to be when it comes to the Fox T-bird/Cougars. 

I love those new edge 'stangs and can remember drooling on 03/04 Cobra's when they were new on the dealer lots.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

New guy from NJ

Reply #8
Gonna keep it a turbo 2.3 or swap something else?

For the most part, these cars are a fox mustang with a sn-95 suspension, sorta. Bolt ons for a fox work, minus unique motor mounts and driveshaft length.

Welcome.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

New guy from NJ

Reply #9
Originally I wanted to do a vortech sc 5.0 but the more I see about the 2.3 the more I like it!!

New guy from NJ

Reply #10
I can't speak on 2.3's, but I've owned quite a few 86-88 302's and they are good reliable motors. I've got 316k miles right now on my 86 cougar, and it still runs pretty good. Occasionally i can one wheel peel my 275/60's, and if i do doughnuts i can do circles till i get too dizzy.

The tc's have the best factory suspension and rear end (8.8" traction lock, 3.55's for manual and 3.73's for auto) and would be an excellent starting point no matter which way you go.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com