Skip to main content
Topic: aluminum head question (Read 4178 times) previous topic - next topic

aluminum head question

i have a stock bottom end 89 mustang motor in my 87 bird. currently running stock e7 heads explorer intake and a b303 cam.

looking to upgrade tracked down a trick flow street heat intake for 400 bucks so that's what im going with..

probably going to go with the trick flow 170 series 61cc twisted wedge heads with 2.02 intake valves. and 1.7rr

my question is.... is there any issues with piston to valve?? I did a quick search on google and as usual cant get a straight answer on this..

so if anyone is running this set up any feed back would be appreciated

thanks

aluminum head question

Reply #1
Should be just fine

But always double check

aluminum head question

Reply #2
I swear I had around 3/8" of clearance on my tw 170 heads milled down to 54cc, stock HO cam, 0-deck block. Either way, tons of clearance. It barely touched the clay I put in a couple cylinders to test.

Mine was tested with a hydraulic lifter turned into a solid.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

aluminum head question

Reply #3
You should be fine but double check. That stock piston/cam/head combo has ben used numerous times by many people without issue.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

aluminum head question

Reply #4
Trick Flow states there are no clearance issues unless running something more than a Stage-2 cam... I've ran a set using their Stage-1 cam on '86 flat top HO pistons that were .003 out of the hole...

aluminum head question

Reply #5
Oh wow I thought you said you had the GT40 heads on that thing. Must have been mistaken. If you carry out that plan and basically upgrade to what I have in the black car (basically what TurboCoupe50 has as well) - the TF top end setup, get ready for a real kick in the ass!!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

aluminum head question

Reply #6
What trans/gear are you running? With TW170 heads, a Street Heat manifold, and B303 cam you're going to want to run at least 3.73 gears, AOD or T5. If you have an AOD you're really going to want to put a stall converter in the AOD, something in the 2800-3200rpm range. Without it the car will be a dog off the line.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

aluminum head question

Reply #7
Thanks for the feedback guys. Paul.. just e7s with the explorer intake as of now. Car has 3.73 gears in and world class t5. Got rid of that horrible jasper aod and even got in outta my garage asap i hate thos trannys combined with jasper shotty work and it was junk right outta the create.

Actually upon more research in going with the twisted wedge track heat head  (i like the upgraded valvetrain specs better) but still doing the street heat intake

Thanks again guy whats hp look like on that combo around 320??

aluminum head question

Reply #8
Trick Flow always advertised the kit as making 360 at the crank. Might have been a +/- 10HP difference street heat/track heat intake....? The track heat one shifts the powerband further up in RPM's...not sure on the numbers. I've got the track heat intake and with 3.73s it seems to work well. Then again I like keeping it up there so the cutouts scream and everyone hates me :)
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

aluminum head question

Reply #9
Most people with TW170 heads and a Trick Flow intake make around 350hp-ish. Only guys with custom cams and a better intake (Holley Systemax II, Trick Flow R) make more power. Either the Street or Track intake should work fine for you. With 3.73 gears you won't be spending a whole lot of time below 2500rpm anyway where all that magical low end torque lives. Another possibility is that you could send out your GT40 lower intake to someone like TMoss on the Corral to have it ported. It would cost half of what the Street Heat intake costs and flow just as well after porting.

aluminum head question

Reply #10
I got the intake very cheap compared to a new one so um just going with it. Plus looks a lil cooler than a explorer intake haha.

But heres the real kicker of this build ive talked with a few ppl thst have done it so im gonna try it again.... hopefully running this thing on 19# lightning injectors  (different spray tips then mustang) the ppl i deal with for tuning have done it b4. Hello hp/mpg lol

aluminum head question

Reply #11
The computer doesn't really know or care what fuel injectors it has, it only controls how long they pulse.

24# injectors can be had out of any 460 at the junk yard. 19# injectors top out around 200hp and were a bit undersized for a mustang. If i was paying for a tune, id make sure my injector duty was under 80% for long life.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

aluminum head question

Reply #13
If you go with TW170 heads run at least a 24lb injector.

aluminum head question

Reply #14
Might end up doing 42# ones that way its supercharger ready thats the ending goal with this current motor till the other one gose from a SO 5.0 to a 347. That one will be set up to run twin 62mm turbos