Skip to main content
Topic: carpenter bees (Read 2317 times) previous topic - next topic

carpenter bees

ive learned...........

males don't have stingers
females do but wont sting unless you handle them
their defense system is to buzz / fly fast and make you think bad shiznits about to happen to you.
they have a unique was of stealing nectar without really pollenating 

they drill holes and make a nest
their job is to make holes in wood so nature can let moisture in and decay can send wood back to the earth... much respected.

so WVU says that they are seeing good luck using Saven bug dust and blast it in their hole then seal the hole afterward like in a couple days.
I used a turkey baster,, that didn't work work cause its so big.

I found an old thing used to in baby kits, a round rubber thingy with a long narrow nozzle, kinda like a turkey baster but I somehow remember seeing it used to pull snot out of baby noses or something.  anyway im able to easily squeeze that and insert into the bug dust then let go and it fills itself up.  I insert the nozzle up into the hole the bee drills and it works well.

Problem-  you stand there and watch and the sumbeychos wander up to their opening and kick all that stuff out.
kinda pissed me off they are so smart.

so ......... I get my autozone carb cleaner and that little spray tip is able to contour the angle hole they drill so I filled up their little fing house with carb cleaner.  They cant possibly live through that contamination could they?

anyone doing anything that works?

carpenter bees

Reply #1
The only problem with your method,they have already drilled there hole and caused the damage already.

I fight these s every year and I am yet to find anything that deter's them from drilling.
I get great pleasure in wacking them with a fly swatter !!!!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

carpenter bees

Reply #2
Quote from: Chooglin;448105
The only problem with your method,they have already drilled there hole and caused the damage already.

I fight these s every year and I am yet to find anything that deter's them from drilling.
I get great pleasure in wacking them with a fly swatter !!!!!

they like eves / over hangs, so im thinking to fill the holes with expanding foam,
next nail up some small mesh wire that wont let them into the eve.  it shouldn't look bad on my house.

Something with a smaller pattern than rabbit wire,, smaller than 1/4'' pattern.
going to tractor supply now to see what they have.

I have a 1x12 trim that's 10'' tall,
they fly up under that for good cover and then drill.  If I block off that flight pattern maybe they will not be able to select this area anymore.

its a convenient home for them though, they have all the blooms and such to feed on , then they can tear up my house

carpenter bees

Reply #3
No idea on the cause/cure, but it sure as is fun to play whack-a-bee using a badminton racket. They just don't quit, until you either kill 'em, or get bored and get back to work lol.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

carpenter bees

Reply #4
Knew a guy years ago that had a flowering bush that attracted those bees. He could tell which ones could sting, I believe he said by the differences in their faces. He liked to shock people by catching the males with his hands.

carpenter bees

Reply #5
They gnaw holes in wood. I sure as hell wouldn't want one next to my hide LOL.

Then again, bees and spider scare the dogshiznit out of me...give me a snake any day, so long as it's not a rattler or moccasin. Yes, I have a snake as a pet. Full grown creamsicle Corn. Lovely creatures, and so feared, needlessly.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

carpenter bees

Reply #6
I had a huge problem with them, an old timer I knew who taught me how to paint cars said to put steel wool in the whole and they would leave. It actually worked now I only get a couple new attempts at holes per year and they get the smacking and it ends there

carpenter bees

Reply #7
See things like this make me glad I have a house constructed of bricks ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

carpenter bees

Reply #8
Yep. The carb cleaner works pretty well....

If I were one of those bees I'd cut and run the second I saw all the bodies. We'll see how that work tomorrow.

I'm gonna miss shooting them out of the air with a pellet gun, to be honest. Lol

carpenter bees

Reply #9
parts cleaner does the trick

afternoon 1=  must have been 300 kills or more

afternoon2= could only rustle up another 30 or so

this really takes very little effort on my part to do.

filling holes with expanding foam