Skip to main content
Topic: Mother Nature... (Read 2160 times) previous topic - next topic

Mother Nature...

is going to unleash some hell today.

All you guys/gals in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and other parts affected by this stuff..stay safe.

I'm well outside of the danger area for now, but even so, the humidity has increased, the temps are up, it's cloudy, and I've got one of those headaches that comes about when the pressure changes.

We had a small twister (EF1) make a little mess in a town about 15 miles from me Thursday night, and yesterday afternoon a brief but intense T storm fast tracked through and dumped an inch of rain in 30 minutes.

Anyway, the NWS is saying this could be an outbreak scenario with casualties, so keep an eye on the clouds and a ear tuned to a radio station. ;)

Quite a few folks on the board are probably gonna see something of this..and of course the system will be long lived, and will be in my area later tonight or the early morning hours. Good times. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Mother Nature...

Reply #1
No kidding....we get freakishly high temps in the summer (I remember one day of 119 degrees), actaul earthquakes, tornadoes, crazy amounts of rain right now, droughts, flooding, super high winds.......it's a Maaaaaad hooooouse !!!!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Mother Nature...

Reply #2
Kinda makes me appreciate those eight feet of snow we had this winter. I'll take snow over tornadoes and hail. There have only ever been two tornadoes confirmed in this province, and pea-sized hail is front page news. We do get the odd hurricane, but at least you can see those coming and prepare for them
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Mother Nature...

Reply #3
A tornado took out my grandmother's house a couple of years ago. Brutal. A mile and a half long stretch of the town disappeared. Glad she had the house up for sale and had moved in with my parents when it hit. I've seen sections of the highway that were pulled up and gone. Crazy stuff.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Mother Nature...

Reply #4
When I was a kid, on the road with dad going to Seattle, we were on 80 out by Green River Wyoming. We knew the storms had been bad, but when we met a spot where the twister had scoured the pavement for about 1/2 a mile or so, we knew it was bad.

Thankfully it was all wide open out there, so no damage other than the road, some antelope fence, and of course a nice eery swath of grass that looked as if a giant-assed weedeater had cleaned it out.

Another time in '98 we were down in Florida...this was the night Dale Sr won the 500, anyway, we were rolling along, past daytona at that point...the weather radio screamed that there was a tornado warning...we were in it LOL.

No place to get out and hide, so we kept on. Pretty bad deal...we could've been blown into the ocean if things had been just right. (rather, just wrong?).

11 years ago I took a couple of film pics of a funnel as it went right over my head...that was a bad year, 2004. We had an outbreak, and one did some damage in town where I lived at that time. Sounded like a big jet making a low pass. House shook, and I was 1/4 mile from the damage zone.

So far, so good here though.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Mother Nature...

Reply #6
We didn't have any damage here, other than a maple limb as big as my wrist, but over in town, the power went off about 2 and crews didnt get it fully on until after daylight. Lots of wind damage.

I was watching the leading edge of storm on radar, once it passed, I said shag it and went to bed lol.

I did move the BBQ and our lawn furniture and plants along the north side of the house so the wind wouldn't throw 'em out in the hay, but honestly, it didn't do much here beyond drop some heavy rain.

It's windy today though, feels like gusts up to 25-30.

Just spring in Missouri....it'll be hot as hell next week, and I'll have to fire up the AC. :-\
'98 Explorer 5.0