Skip to main content
Topic: New Guy (Read 5756 times) previous topic - next topic

New Guy

Hey everyone.
I have been buzzing around here for a while but never posted. I am new to the fox chassis but not new to Thunderbirds. I had a 91 5.0 sport and an 89 supercoupe(death by rust). About a year ago I bought a 84 tbird, with 91 kms, pretty clean with no winters. It was mostly original with exception of fox stang 8.8 w/ 3.55, factory stang headers and h-pipe. I drove it as is last summer and started ripping when winter hit. Thats about it, just wanted to say hi. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. If i do it right..XXX

New Guy

Reply #1
XXX

New Guy

Reply #2
XXX

New Guy

Reply #3
XXX

New Guy

Reply #4
Nice man, welcome.

Not sure i would have went with a carb personally, but everything else looks good ;).

What are you using for idler pulleys and brackets? I want to delete my power steering and ac eventually. I was planning on just swapping the spring in the tensioner and going with a ribbed idler pulley.

Is that a t-5? Doesn't look quite right to me.

Welcome.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

New Guy

Reply #5
Nice looking Bird... Thanks for posting the pics....
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

New Guy

Reply #6
welcome
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

New Guy

Reply #7
It's the m5r2.

New Guy

Reply #8
How's the shifter location? And welcome.:D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

New Guy

Reply #9
Welcome to the forum!!! Glad to have you here. Looking at the pictures you posted. Dang. I have replaced about every single piece of my car that isn't the unibody, and looking back on it, it was a very long road, and I'm glad the tough stuff is done. Good luck with the car, and keep posting pics.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

New Guy

Reply #10
Thanks everyone. The shifter is farther back. It sits right below where the where the center console starts, where the ash tray starts. I think I measured it being like 4 inches back where a t5 Shifter would be.  Oh and Haystack I am using the acc brackets from my old 91 5.0 Bird.

New Guy

Reply #11
Are you gonna have the driveshaft cut down? I believe that trans is about 4" longer then a t-5/aod.

I used a 3.8 sn-95 t-5 in my old 87, and i was worried about 3/4" of length longer then a fox.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

New Guy

Reply #12
Yes, factory shaft is about 46.75 u joint to u joint. I think the one i had them make was 42.5. The stocker is pretty thin on the one end and was affordable.

New Guy

Reply #13
Might be too late at this point, but if you have to get your shaft trimmed (no dirty jokes lol) may as well get an aluminum unit from a crown PI or taxi and cut it down. Hybrid u joints and stab the shaft in. (that's what she said)..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

New Guy

Reply #14
Mine was made from an aluminum Crown Vic cop car driveshaft.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..