Skip to main content
Topic: Rear window rubber moulding/molding/trim (Read 1633 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear window rubber moulding/molding/trim

I hope I can figure this out with definitive answers. I've seen mixed and incomplete details in threads from when this version of the board was started.

Are there ANY sources for replacement aesthetic rubber trim to go around the rear window? I'm having trouble getting details from local glass shops, for this exact piece.

Also, what are the differences between the rubber and metal trim cars? Is it the lower clip portion that is mounted to the rear window? If I replace the rear window with one from an '87/early '88 (metal trim), will I be able to install metal trim? I figure it wouldn't hurt anything - the windshield uses multiple pieces of metal, so it wouldn't look out of place, but also be far better in the long run.

My rear window rubber has experienced extreme shrinkage, even over the years in the garage. It is no longer "rubber", but more like a hard, brittle plastic.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #2
Wonder why they used rubber and metal trim I have 2 88's here one is metal other is rubber

Reply #3
Interesting - so metal requires tack welding some pins in. I'm still waiting to hear back about the rubber availability, with or without new glass. My rear window has seen better days so I was already planning on installing a new one.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #4
The attached picturse is the best I can get from a glass company I've been communicating with all week -this is everything that is needed, correct? They won't sell me just the rubber as it and the glass come as a set...

X
X
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #5
Does anyone know of a paint that I can spray over a DIY stencil to add my own defroster grid? They can't source a window with defroster grid already installed.
1988 Thunderbird Sport