Skip to main content
Topic: Needed 88 tc throwout bearing retainer... (Read 711 times) previous topic - next topic

Needed 88 tc throwout bearing retainer...

Gonna attempt to do a clutch soon and I have a feeling my retainer might not be in the greatest of shape. Wanted to see if I can get a spare if possible ahead of time. Ive got one guy looking in his collection but if he doesnt find anything I would like to have a backup.

V8 ones wont work FYI

Thanks!
88 Turbo Coupe 5 Speed..Full exhaust, K and N, Boost Controller

Reply #1
Napa has it.  Check their website.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
I guessing that your talking about the spring possibly being broken on your current throw out retainer
There's a throw out bearing with the spring attached so the factory (broken) spring can just be removed
I forget what car it's for but it's for a early  80s jeep
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #4
I'm pulling my t5 tonight ill let you know

Reply #5
Wait, I'm trying to understand--are you talking about:

• the input shaft bearing retainer that the throw-out bearing rides on?  The stock one is aluminum and often gets "goobered up" on high mileage ones so that the TO bearing "sticks" as you push the clutch in. The input shaft bearing retainer could (should) be changed out to a steel one if the stock one is messed up.
  • Or the throw-out bearing for the 2.3L?  IIRC, the only difference between the T5 found in Foxbody 2.3L TCs/Cougars and Mustangs and the T5s that were used in 5.0L Fox Mustangs is the length of the input shaft and the diameter of the shaft end that fits in the pilot bearing.  The TO bearing (or clutch release bearing) is available from NAPA in the link above.
  • Or the clutch fork (shorter than the V8 ones, and 2.3L replacement forks hard to find)? :(

I'm going through a clutch replacement soon, too, so want to confirm. :D

Daniel

Reply #6
Mine is junk sorry dude