Skip to main content
Topic: Rear upper control arm bushings (Read 1793 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear upper control arm bushings

Well the upper rear control arm bushing job I've been dreading is just as bad as I thought it would be.  I thought I could drive them out with my air chisel but no dice.  Ended up ordering this removal/installation tool from Maximum Motorsports, I'll let you all know how it works out.  It should be a breeze now!  Has anyone ever used it before?  Any tips?

I broke my arm back in the fall and wrenching on the car is proving to be a lot more challenging this spring.  I can't seem to bend my wrist how I want to and am extremely weak.  Hopefully the more I use it the better it gets.  I've got to get the car ready for its big Power tour trip in a few months!!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #1
I have that exact same tool. It works quite well for what it is. My only recommendation is buying a better grade bolt
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #2
So I finally got this done Saturday afternoon.  I did have trouble with the supplied bolt being a little too short.  Overall the tool works GREAT.  I would highly recommend it.  Upon inspecting the bushings after getting them out I'm glad I decided to change them.  They were in really sad shape...too many "holeshots" over the years I guess, lol.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #3
Yea tool works good been useing it for years

Reply #4
Wish I'd have had that tool when i did mine...even though I did mine with the rear out, it still would've been a hell of a lot easier than beating the snot out the stockers to get them out...lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
I tried using an air chisel, hammer, etc with the rear still in and I finally came to the realization would have been there for a week.  Got on Google and found this tool.  It was worth the wait for the UPS truck to show up!  It made it soooooo much easier!

Reply #6
Used a torch to heat up the bushings, inner rubber goo slid out, air chisel to collapse the outer shell.  Took about 30 minutes to remove the old ones.  Used a rental tool from OReillys to press the new ones back in which was a bit of a pain on the first one but the when I figured it out the second one was not too bad.

I have used the MM tool and by far the best way to go and worth the coin if you don't have access to a torch and air tools.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp