Skip to main content
Topic: Need help. (Read 1840 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help.

Need help guys.  Long time issue that is worsening.  Have 88 GT Mustang spindles up front with GT brakes.  I have always had some clicking/thumping noise passenger side since the upgrade.  Passed it off, cause it was minor.  It is only when touching the brakes and letting off.  No noise otherwise, on bumps etc.  No noise in reverse ever, only forward, a clunk when I hit the brakes and a clunk when I let off.  It is worsening.  I need some advise or where to look.

I have a new rack, new outer tie rods, new Tokico struts, new calipers and brakes.  Have original control arms and ball joints.  Shop said ball joints were fine when I had the car aligned after lowering the front end (cut stock springs to lower about 1.5")

Ive always seemed to have some play in passenger brake caliper, since upgraded.  Ive even replaced the caliper and the problem persists.  Could it be a caliper mounting hardware problem?  The were different head size from the drivers side when mounted?

Looking for any help here.  I dont want to take it to the shop.
Mike

Need help.

Reply #1
Strut mounts?

I'd look again at the ball joints, too. Wiggle the tire/wheel really good, both loaded, and with the front in the air.

Might also be a rubber bushing in the c/a bad, allowing for a little movement when braking and letting off..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Need help.

Reply #2
I'd jack it up and start prying on the suspension and steering components with a crowbar to see if there's anything loose.  I know you are thinking brakes, but every time you hit the brake it is leveraging the suspension, etc.

I'd agree with above on the strut mounts...1st thing that crossed my mind.  Mine were clunking a lot before I changed them a year or two ago.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Need help.

Reply #3
I had the same noise in my car till I replaced the stock strut mounts. Only when I hit the brakes would the noise become evident.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Need help.

Reply #4
Ill start there, thanks guys.

Any certain brand you have had good luck with?  Stock rubber or aftermarket urethane?

Would Mevotech be ok?  On rockauto for $17
Mike

Need help.

Reply #5
I've got Monroe strut mounts. The mount is rubber. However it is replaceable like the Fox Mustang mount now. Later on if I want to swap to a urethane mount I can.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Need help.

Reply #6
Quote from: mcb82gt;446373
Ill start there, thanks guys.

Any certain brand you have had good luck with?  Stock rubber or aftermarket urethane?

Would Mevotech be ok?  On rockauto for $17

Yup I replaced mine with the Mevo tech units not too long ago and they are pretty good
I believe you can also replace the rubber in the mounts with urethane if you wanted to
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Need help.

Reply #7
I've got Monroe replacements from Advance Auto Parts.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube