Skip to main content
Topic: Guess what I got? (Read 2874 times) previous topic - next topic

Guess what I got?

Hey all,
I scored what I think is a pretty good find on Ebay last week.  It's an '83 LS Cougar, V6, (AOD, I think), TRX package, digital gauge cluster, for $151.  The body, from the pictures, must be totally rust-free.  I think my '98 F150 has more rust, and it doesn't have any.  I am supposed to pick it up this weekend.  It's main problem is a busted rear axle housing (for which I seem to have a donor in my driveway right now), and a bonked-up header panel (which I also have in the shed at home).  It has a clear title.  I'm told it runs like a top even after sitting for 2 years.  It has about 125k on it.  The interior also looks exceptional.  The exterior color is a dark charcoal metallic, and the interior is a plush red cloth.

So is this '83 a rare bird for any reason?  Were there many LS cars with the TRX package?  Or with the digital guages?  What else about an '83 is unique?  I believe it is still a "talking" car, isn't it?  It may still have an 8-track but I can't tell from the pictures.  It does have Premium Sound and a power antenna.  Even though the TRX wheels look cool, I know they are very undesirable as far as tire replacement.  But if the TRX wheels came on the car, didn't that get you a whole handling package?  Also, on an '83 with digital gauges, is the speedo cable-driven or electronic?  The reason I ask is, I will have to take the rear axle assembly from my '84 and put it under the '83, and the '84 has the base speedo.  If for some reason the gearing is different between the 2 cars, I would like to compensate by taking the speedo gear from the donor car and putting it in the '83, if that's possible.  If somebody could, please let me know how to correct that situation if it happens.  I know I definitely want to keep the digital speedo.

Thanks for any feedback on my newest acquisition.  Also, if anybody is interested in a fairly nice '84 LS that will be lacking a rear axle assembly, just let me know.  It'd be a perfect opportunity for that TC 8.8 rear you've got sitting around.  The body is average for rust, but the interior is still very nice.  The exterior is a Caramel Tan metallic (I forget the proper name, but it is a "glamour" color option), and the interior is a beige plush cloth.  It's loaded with all the normal LS stuff.  Even has all the original paperwork and window sticker.  Just thought I'd throw all that out.  Thanks again for the comments.

Fordman3

Re: Guess what I got?

Reply #2
I think I remember seeing that car on eBay - the guy put it sideways into a curb or something like that, and busted the end of the axle housing clean off.

I think the '83-84 with digital dash still uses a cable, but I'm not certain. Regardless, you should still be able to use your current speedo gear as the electronic and cable gears are the same
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
I'd like to see some pics.

Its too bad the TRX stuff was such garbage AND and odd size to boot.

My 84 XR-7 had the TRX stuff on it and the tires were in pretty good shape...but they were just scary..esp in the wet.  THey looked really nice on the car though.  Alot nicer than the stuff used on the Mustangs/Capris IMO.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #4
Hey guys,
Thanks for the comments.  I'm gonna try to attach a few pictures, which I've never done before.  If it flops, I'll try again.  Here goes...

Reply #5
you  wouldn't happen to need or want an extra set of them metric
wheels, would ya?  :hick:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #6
Freek,
Sorry man, but I plan on just putting those wheels/tires away for a rainy day (or maybe someday when it might be really important to restore the car to original).  I have a set of 16" TC snowflakes on the '84 (donor car) that are going on the gray '83.  They have 225/55R16 Cooper Cobra knockoffs (Z-rated) with maybe 2/3 tread (you never know when that 112 hp carbureted V6 might go rippin' past 150 mph).  I think those wheels really fill out the fender wells nicely.  Here's a question, though:  how do you clean them, as in, 2 of them have this crusty, rust-colored gunk in some of the cutouts that look like mud but definitely don't rinse off.  I guess it's probably long-ignored brake residue.  If I could get that stuff out, it would definitely look better.  It seems to have molded to the wheels.  I actually have a full set of Cougar center caps that give them that finishing touch.  I also have an '88 black TC steering wheel with a Cougar horn button that's replacing the original wheel.  Since I know how to attach pictures now, I'll keep them coming as it progresses.  If anyone would like pictures of the '84 I'll be selling minus a rear axle, just let me know.  Thanks again.

Fordman3

Reply #7
Herpes?

Reply #8
That's pretty cool.  I REALLY like the looks of the 83-84 cars. 

Give that a good cleaning and perhaps some new carpet and seats and you're in business.

Reply #9
Hey, nice ride. I like the color very much. Have you planned any mods for this car or you are planning to restore it to original due the "metric package" (hey, will be nice to see an original car with that rare features since i did not see any other with that combinations).

Off of topic, but the Cougars Talk ?????

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #10
Chuck,
Thanks for the plugs.  Hey, you're not too terribly far from me.  You need another '84 LS, don't you?  You have to have an axle just begging for a car to go with it.  It seems you especially like the '83/'84's, and my '84 is a nice one, it just needs more cosmetically than I can afford to do in the near future.  I would make you a good deal on it.  Think about it!

MexCougar,
As I understand it, in '83 only, instead of an annoying chime when the keys were left in the ignition or the door was left open, an even more annoying voice spoke to you and told you your door was ajar, etc.  Eric or ThunderChicken could confirm this.  From '84 on, the chime was re-installed. 

If anybody has any ideas on cleaning my snowflake wheels, please let me hear them.  Later!

Fordman3

Reply #11
I think the voice reminder was an option, not standard, yet it was still only available a certain year.

Reply #12
Well, another car is probably out of the question for me, but if you have pics of the 84, post 'em up.

Reply #13
Nice find, the exterior looks pretty decint and rust free.

Reply #14
Looks like a great find. It even has the electroluminescient coach lamps.

Keep your eye on those head gaskets.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]