Skip to main content
Topic: Saved a Bird from the shredder (Read 2682 times) previous topic - next topic

Saved a Bird from the shredder

Found this 83 on craigslist about 20 miles away. He was asking $1500, after talking to him about the condition I suggested that it was probably worth $500 tops. Went to look at it 3 weeks ago and offered him $400 (which was still too much), he said sold and that if I didn't buy it most likely it was going to end up at Clayton County Recycling just a few miles up the road from me. I will use the dash out of it and strip it of a few other parts I need/want to keep, then let my brother and his buddy pick it over, and if there is anything of value left will post it up here. It is 3.8 auto, doesn't run, and really rusty. The interior isn't too bad, other than the mice have been using it for shelter.

Reply #1
I like it. Same seats as my 84
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #2
Whoa, an 83 Heritage, glad you saved it!!
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #3
It's in better shape then my 86. When I pulled my self from under the car the other day, my hand went through the fender. Painted over rust hole. I might have to pull the fenders off to see if this car is still safe to drive.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
It is worse than the photos let on, but probably could be driven. The door bottoms flap in the wind. I really need a different dash, mine has been hacked up over the years and this car looks to be untouched.  Also changing the interior from dark red to gray so hopefully the rest of the interior trim cleans up well.

Reply #5
I might be interested in the door panels and all their trimmins. if you were to part with them

Reply #6
It's going to be some time before I know what is what, but will keep you in mind.

Reply #7
I would be interested in the console lid
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
Quote from: White85GS;445458
Whoa, an 83 Heritage, glad you saved it!!
Not a Heritage....this is a Heritage. :beatyoass:        :giggle:

This is the second 83 in a month with this color/trim combo I saw being sped. :(

Whitewalls and wheel covers.  Looks like it was kept in nice condition other than the rust.

X
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #9
Quote from: bodyman;445448
Found this 83 on craigslist about 20 miles away. He was asking $1500, after talking to him about the condition I suggested that it was probably worth $500 tops. Went to look at it 3 weeks ago and offered him $400 (which was still too much), he said sold and that if I didn't buy it most likely it was going to end up at Clayton County Recycling just a few miles up the road from me. I will use the dash out of it and strip it of a few other parts I need/want to keep, then let my brother and his buddy pick it over, and if there is anything of value left will post it up here. It is 3.8 auto, doesn't run, and really rusty. The interior isn't too bad, other than the mice have been using it for shelter.

Could you send me the VIN so I can add it to the Thunderbird Registry?
Thanks.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #10
Quote from: rodsterh;445747
Not a Heritage....this is a Heritage. :beatyoass:        :giggle:

This is the second 83 in a month with this color/trim combo I saw being sped. :(

Whitewalls and wheel covers.  Looks like it was kept in nice condition other than the rust.

X
I see it now, just a loaded up base model?
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #11
rodsterh

Could you send me the VIN so I can add it to the Thunderbird Registry?
 Thanks.

Can do. Next time I run out to my folks farm I will get it for you.