Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone thought about a new EcoBoost 2.0l transplant? (Read 4395 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone thought about a new EcoBoost 2.0l transplant?

I know this is more geared to the SVO crowd, but I thought it would be neat to put one of these little engines into the luxo sport Turbo Coupe's, or Cougars.

There is an article on the swap of the 2.0 eb into an 84-86 SVO  in the new MMFF magazine, and here is a little about it on a Mustang website.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f359/t359705/

Reply #1
My wife has an 1.6 eb 2014 fusion sport. Plenty of power for what it is. The way the boost comes in reminds me quite a bit of an 87-88 tc. If I had an unlimited budget id stuff a 4 banger eb into a chrome bumper Mgb chassis and do some hill climb racing with it.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #2
I haven't thought about the 2.0 (the 2.3 would probably make more sense, as it's already geared for RWD). I would love to do a 2.7 Ecoboost swap though
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Yup. I'd do a 2.3 swap if I had the means..
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #4
My brother and I just talked this weekend about how neat a new 2.3 ecoboost swap would be. Need to start watching copart for some wrecked newer mustangs.

Reply #5
Whoops, I meant the 2.3l in the new 15 Mustang.

Reply #6
Spend all that money and then the "I could have had V8" slap on the forehead moment hits. But seriously I would think that the new 2.3 and a good turbo would be pretty cool. My dad and I were talking about stuffing one into something like an MG or if we could find one a Sunbeam Tiger.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #7
You'd need a complete donor car and even then NOTHING will just bolt in...

Assuming stick shift, is trans correct length & will drive shaft fit? Is shifter in correct location? How would you actuate the clutch? Without the matching transmission how would one bolt the Bird trans to the new 2.3? Will starter match the 2.3 flywheel? Motor mounts would no doubt require fabrication, as would mounting the accessories(the new Stang has electric steering) and wiring the PCM controlled alternator... How will you interface the Stang wiring harness into the Bird?? Nothing will be plugging in... It's drive by wire plus has the security system with transponder key, won't even crank without that...  These issues are just the tip of the iceberg... Unless one is a experienced fabricator that can build mounts and brackets, plus is a wizard in electrical, this swap won't happen(or at least be completed)...

Reply #8
As someone who's ran a 2003 t-5 ment for a v-6 behind a 302, i was amazed at all of the options and different ways it could be done, using off the shelf parts. Motor mounts would probably have to be fabricated, if your making custom motor mounts, id leave the trans mount as is unless it requires more fabrication.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack;445209
As someone who's ran a 2003 t-5 ment for a v-6 behind a 302....

No doubt, BUT, the exact same T5, less gearing differences, was used on the 5.0 as well, albeit with different bells and input lengths. Match the bell to the input shaft length, and done.

Without a doubt, swapping in the new 2.3 EB engine would be something that not many of us would have the means to pull off without either lots of cash, or someone well versed in rather extensive swaps.

Still, it would be very neat to have one in an '88 TC, all while keeping a stock exterior look.

But integrating all the systems..well, that's not simply a matter of some "off the shelf" parts. ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #10
I've put a twin turbo 363 Ford/Dart into a 1990 Mazda B2200, and if I can do that then this is a piece of cake.

Really these type of projects aren't as hard as they are made out to be, you just have to take it one thing at a time. Heck, I would bet my B2200 is the only one on the planet with 14" disc brakes.......lol.

I would just swap out the whole drivetrain were I going to do this. I wouldn't have the heart to cut a good running Tiger, but an Alpine, sure. [ftr my brother just sold his Tiger ]

Reply #11
I think it wouldn't be as hard as all that, but definitely harder than your typical 2.3 to 5.0 swap. The whole drivetrain would definitely be required, and it'll be a while before ecoboost Mustangs start showing up in junkyards. Same thing for the 2.7 Ecoboost swap that I mentioned - it's brand new in 2015, just like the EB Mustang, so junkyard pickings will be rare. In ten years, though, the junkyards will be polluted with 2.7 F-150's, as this will probably be the volume engine on the largest volume vehicle in the world (just think, in another decade or so 5.0 Coyote engines will probably be almost as obtainable as the modular engines are now). I don't know how possible or practical a 2.7/manual combo would be, but a 2.7/auto could be done with a 2WD F-150 donor
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #12
I didn't change anything out but the trans and pedals. I reused the 3.8 bellhousing, used a fox clutch cable and pedals, the flywheel from an f-150 and the clutch and starter from an f-150. Everything bolted and looked factory.

One shop i worked at, we were building a sandrail. The old Mazda 1.8 liter turbo was blown up. We swapped in a 2.3 turbo with esslinger head and other goodies. The modifications to make it fit the existing vw bellhousing? Drilled two holes, used an after market flywheel (which was in stock, not custom made) and swapped a 2.3 gear onto the Volkswagen starter. We did have to modify the exhaust some.

It ran fast efi, which we spliced into a factory turbo coupe engine harness. You know how cool it is to have your boss send ya junkyarding, on the clock, looking for tbird parts?

Overall, a bit of common sense and a bit of handy work goes a long way with swaps like this.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
Quote from: M-train;445214
I've put a twin turbo 363 Ford/Dart into a 1990 Mazda B2200, and if I can do that then this is a piece of cake.

Really these type of projects aren't as hard as they are made out to be, you just have to take it one thing at a time. Heck, I would bet my B2200 is the only one on the planet with 14" disc brakes.......lol.

I would just swap out the whole drivetrain were I going to do this. I wouldn't have the heart to cut a good running Tiger, but an Alpine, sure. [ftr my brother just sold his Tiger ]

Carbed or EFI???

Reply #14
My logic for a swap to the new 2.3 eb vs a new Coyote is that I like cars that can make a good HP, and lower the weight of the car.

Lowering the weight of the car does several good things.

Lowering the weight helps the car handle better, possible better gas mileage, and from what I saw with the eb swap into the SVO the engine was more behind the shock towers than the original SVO engine, which helps the weight bias.

Also, I think this little engine, the 2.3 eb has even more hp potential than it the previous 2.3l in the turbo coupes of the day.

"Carbed or EFI??? ", its Carbed, but please don't start on the angle that going carbed was waaaaay easier than efi as there are a ton of stand alone efi setups out there as well as one from Ford that can be ordered with the 2.3l crate engine.

Here is my little truck, to prove its real. Almost everything had to be fabbed from big brakes, front suspension, rack/pinion steering, watts link in the rear, rear suspension, AC with the condenser relocated to the bed, etc. Then the body work to get an Edge Ranger front body onto the B front, not to mention a REAL SVO Mustang hood scoop.

Like I said, work on one thing at a time, and you will figure it out.
\

Ghost lights.