Skip to main content
Topic: Peaceful protest thread (Read 25381 times) previous topic - next topic

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #150
"Aboot"... Ah yes, thank you South Park...

For the record, any time you hear a Canadian say "Aboot", he's describing this:
X

As for the LS into Swap thing - I feel this "Peaceful protest thread" is about to become a lot less "peaceful" :mullet:

That being said, I'd swap an LS into a four-eye Bird in an.. um.. heartbeat. The most basic LM7 5.3 is making about as much power bone stock as a 5.0 with heads, cam & intake. A cam and a tune and you're well north of 400 horses. That's why I say that I wouldn't care what drivetrain was in any future four-eye that I end up owning, because it'd be yanked out and recycled into a new Kia anyway
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #151
What I love about an LS motor is that everyone says how much more power they make than a 5.0...I would hope so as the LS motors have more cubic inches to begin with.  The high horsepower LS motors were in the GM performance cars where the trucks got the LS Vortec motors that were detuned and the torque was bumped up for obvious reasons.

LS Motors
LS1/LS6 - 346 cu in (5.7 L)
LS2 - 364 cu in (6.0 L)
LS3/L99 - 376 cu in (6.2 L)
LS4 - 327 cu in (5.3 L)
LS9 - 376 cu in (6.2 L) super charged ZR1 motor
LSA - Detuned LS9 for the Cadillacs

So saying a person is going to throw an LS motor and a turbo into a car does not really tell me much about the build due to all the various "LS" motors and different turbo configurations.  The $500 LS motors in the junk yard are typically the 5.3L truck Vortec motors due to their sheer abundance.  That is still 327 cu in so its a good start (about 320 flywheel hp stock) but typically this motor will need a camshaft, intake, head work or different LS family heads, a stand alone programmer for the fuel injection & ignition or a carb setup and what ever it takes to get spark.  The list goes on and on as you will need some kind of special K-member, drive shaft work, transmission mount, a transmission, and if its one of the new auto transmissions possibly an aftermarket box to control the shifts on that as well.  With all of that $500 can grow like crazy just like any other build.  Now if you just throw a turbo at a stock 5.3 L Vortec then my guess is 500 flywheel hp would be very attainable.  Anything more than that and you start getting into tearing the motor down to mess with ring gap, cams, heads, intakes, throttle bodies, etc. all of which are not cheap so 1,000 flywheel hp on a $500 junk yard motor is pushing it without spending the money.  The short blocks will take it with some minor work but its still not cheap.

For all of that I would just build a 351W and save myself some headache but that's just me.  The LS motor and the turbo will be a bad mofookie if done correctly so I'm not saying they will not build HP because they will just like putting a 440 Hemi and a turbo in a car will make HP.  I just think it is cool that people build what they like and if you take the time to see the work that went into it then that is what makes us car guys and the occasional gal (wish we had more women interested in all of this).

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #152
No sir..LOL. I've said all I needed to say about what I think of LS swaps. Probably said it 3 or 4 years ago, at that. :D

I want to put a flathead engine in my next Tbird...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #153
That would be bad ass man!  Maybe a turbo to boot????

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #154
Darren I have a buddy up here that swapped a junkyard 5.3 into his stang with an s480 turbo and a th400  and he is getting great fuel milage and putting down over 750hp  at the wheels. All on a very cheap budget and with out k member, heads or intake or anything fancier then a stock LS9  cam.  Fast Ed can confirm it. You are WAY over thinking the swap.  And yes it is MUCH MUCH CHEAPER then any Ford build.  Including your mod motor.  Just the timing chains on those are north of $1,200 to do around here.  No thanks. Mod motors are far from budget in any version.

To each there own. But I would rather save money where I can and still have a very fast car with money still in my bank account after.

LS Turbo Foxbody Dyno - 672WHP, 735TQ: http://youtu.be/-21_oiCKeDc

sorry about the highjack guys.

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #155
Quote from: Aerocoupe;445711
That would be bad ass man!  Maybe a turbo to boot????

Darren

Yes! As soon as I figure out how to get this shop vac to run backwards...then mount my power inverter. :D
'98 Explorer 5.0

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #156
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;445713
Yes! As soon as I figure out how to get this shop vac to run backwards...then mount my power inverter. :D

Don't waste your time with a shop vac. Do this...

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-1105-leaf-blower-supercharger/
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #157
Well, that's a pretty good use for a C4 Vette. Cut it up and put a carb motor in it.

I'd rather leave it whole, put about 15 pounds of tannerite on the driver's seat, and unlimber some 150 gr .308 at it. :D
'98 Explorer 5.0

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #158
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;445719
Well, that's a pretty good use for a C4 Vette. Cut it up and put a carb motor in it.

I'd rather leave it whole, put about 15 pounds of tannerite on the driver's seat, and unlimber some 150 gr .308 at it. :D
I like the way you think sir
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #159
Let's go shootin'. ;)

I may not have any c4 vettes, but I am sure we can scare up a few camaros. Equally as good for my intentions :)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #160
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;445690

And putting LS engines in Ford vehicle is not any different than sleeping with your own siblings....ya just don't do it.

You don't do it if you enjoy going slow.
It's Gumby's fault.

Peaceful protest thread

Reply #161
10's.....

In the Mustang...... 

With a 4.6.....

Stock block and rotating assembly......

Full weight car.....

A/C, cruise, and zero fear of long road trips.....

Coming in May!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!