Skip to main content
Topic: Gas mileage challenge (Read 5075 times) previous topic - next topic

Gas mileage challenge

I think I know what flat landers feel like now!!!!

so,, like I did not do...... take a picture of your digital cluster if you have one with the foreground of some sign reference start point.
take another same picture about 80 or so miles with foreground signs as a reference point
this will catch your miles driven and average mpg.
don't cheat,,

with a highly disciplined foot maintaining the speed limits the roads allowed I was able to do this...
lets compare gas mileage on our cars

replace in your minds eye the number 1 on the far left with a number 2 in my total miles ,, since this digit never changes from a 1

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #1
Thats pretty good with the fuel economy.....keep it up...

Travis

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #2
My 3.73 gears kill it for me....Im out.
Mike

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #3
thanks,,

also perhaps a trip minder would be equal to use for this as well.

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #4
I've laid down 41 and change with my 88tc on a long highway drive
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #5
You need gas!

All joking aside, if your car is well maintained, you can easily achieve the original epa mpg highway rating. My old thundercat would average right at 28mpg in a 50 mile daily commute, mixed 65-75mph zones. A few times i followed a work truck back to the shop, was an old ford f800 with a 55mph speed limiter. Keeping pace, id achieve 35mpg each way.

I cant compete. My 275/60's in running out back throw the speedo/mileage off by about 8%. This really screws with the trip computer. I don't have a good set of 26" tires right now to throw on back.

Right now im averaging about 22.5mpg with mixed 55-80mph speed zones, but you could technically throw an extra 8% to my total mileage because of Tue tires. I think i have a dead spot on my tps. I can't get the trip computer to read between 25 and 30mpg. Always jumps above or below.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #6
My cars and trucks get HORRIBLE MILEAGE!!!! That is why they are SO COOL. I did not build them for economy. But my 630 Wheel Hp camaro gets 22 MPG all day at highway speeds That is 75 MPH. And it is a cool car
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #7
Yeah my Thunderbird gets 21-22mpg at 75mph. I don't care. It's a fun car so fast > good fuel economy.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #8
I'm getting a solid 16 mpg in my 87 TC lol
This is due to my super wide tires, 90% city driving, and the way I drive hehe

At least it's better than the 92 gt mustang I had, I was getting about 8 mpg but man was that car fast and FUN. Biggest mistake selling that car
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #9
Believe it or not (okay maybe it's not that hard to believe since I had that dash to look at from the passenger seat since I was 10 in 1998), at 16 years old I began driving the red Cougar, and tried mercilessly to keep the average as high as possible. I would avoid warming up the engine as much as possible in effort to not "ruin" my record. I'd get SO PISSED when something would cause me to have to hammer the gas, pissed at every stoplight, etc. :rollin:

Then I started building up the horsepower and realized it would be even harder to continue to do this. 3.73s were the beginning of the end, and by the time the loose 3000-rpm converter was in, screw it! The most liberating feeling in the world. "Wow I CAN just drive it and enjoy it the way I want to!"

It becomes a true challenge/contest, especially with the real-time readout mode and that dash, it's like a videogame. And you're like people yelling at their tablet because they lost on Candy Crush or whatever :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #10
X

Stock V8 and drivetrain on stock tires, running 93 octane.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #11
X

Stock v8 and drivetrain with stock size tires, running 93 Unleaded.

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #12
Dumb question, but what's "Distance"? Do full digital clusters not have the Trip in the speedo section like base clusters do?
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #13
Quote from: White85GS;444309
Dumb question, but what's "Distance"? Do full digital clusters not have the Trip in the speedo section like base clusters do?

No, different layout......

Gas mileage challenge

Reply #14
Quote from: White85GS;444309

Full digital clusters have a trip odometer and the distance function. The distance function just goes from 0-999 miles and then resets. The trip function goes from 0-100000. So basically the digital clusters have two trip odometers.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.