Skip to main content
Topic: 84 Thunderbird - Original Exhaust System - ler (Read 1618 times) previous topic - next topic

84 Thunderbird - Original Exhaust System - ler

I need to replace the ler on my 84 Thunderbird 5.0 AT.  It has the original ler with an aftermarket tailpipe welded to the ler.  I want to replace the ler myself, but I don't have any welding or pipe bending equipment.  Looking at the shop manual, it looks like the original ler section had the ler input pipe, ler and tailpipe as one unit.  This portion of the exhaust system was bolted to the output Y-pipe from the catalytic converters.  Does anyone sell an aftermarket ler unit (input pipe, ler, tailpipe) that is a direct replacement for the original ler section?  Or can I obtain two or three separate pieces - input pipe, ler, tailpipe - that I could bolt/connect together to replicate the original section?  I'm just looking for a stock ler section where the pipes can be connected without welding.  Thanks!
1984 Ford Thunderbird LX 5.0 CFI

Reply #1
I replaced my entire cat back by ordering it through autozone on my 86 cougar. It cost about $100 all together. I used pipe clamps on the ler and hangar, the mid pipe bolted in place. I didn't have to cut anything and fit was nearly perfect.

A good jack, jack stands and a few good sockets/extensions and about an hour of your time is all you really need.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Walker was the OEM supplier. Should be fairly easy to find parts in that brand. They are part of Dynomax now, though; to be correct either would be acceptable.

Reply #3
I had to replace my entire setup due to rust and leaks.  Took mine to a shop.  I used a mustang catted h pipe I had in the shed from before.  He made it fit my stock manifolds and we ran duals all the way out.  It was about $200 or so out the door in about 3 hours.  Now I did already have the h pipe so that helped the price a lot I'm sure.  But the H pipes aren't that expensive and I got a nice setup now with NO leaks.  Nothing more frustrating than hearing exhaust leaks going put put put as you drive down the road in your classic car.  Kinda blows the cool factor all to pieces.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do, you'll feel much better about the car when it's done.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #4
If i had money at the time i did mine, id just pick up some mustang headers and h-pipe and run duals.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #5
Thanks for everyone's help!  I checked Autozone and they only have the ler.  I can only find universal tailpipes - not sure if they would fit.  I might cut off the existing tailpipe from the old ler and try to use it with the new ler... The one piece I can't find is the pipe between the cat Y-pipe and the ler.  Is this pipe called an extension pipe or intermediate pipe or ????  Could I create a custom pipe by cutting a long pipe in half, shortening it and connecting them with a collar?  There's a lot of stock pipes available for the V6 engine, but not too many stock pipes for the V8 engine.  This is the first time I'm trying to replace part of an exhaust system, so these must seem like simple questions for most of you... Thanks!
1984 Ford Thunderbird LX 5.0 CFI

Reply #6
RockAuto.com has a Walker tailpipe for $32 right now (2 left). The intermediate pipe might have to be made at an exhaust shop, or maybe they can get one. Exhaust parts for these cars are generally available without much of an issue.

Reply #7
Order it through autozone as an 87 5.0 tbird. Ill check my receipts to see if its a walker brand name, but i believe it is. The 88 302 cars had fake duals.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #8
I'm not sure if the intermediate pipes for all 5.0 cars were the same. The 1984-85 Y-pipe was unique for the 5.0 cars…it has the two long converters instead of the later, shorter converters. I've not owned a 5.0 car from those model years, no experience with them, but a ler shop will have the diagrams in their books and be able to explain everything.

Reply #9
Really? That's quite interesting. I've even used a 87 5.0 ordered exhaust on a 3.8 or two and it bolted up. I've never owned an 83-85 car either.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.