Skip to main content
Topic: folding rear seats complete (Read 8105 times) previous topic - next topic

folding rear seats complete

thinking this through, folding rear seats.

I am thinking the ass part of the rear seat could be hinged on the front lower edge so that it lifts and stands up,, then the back folds down.

cut away the x brace in the rear, s up the package tray with uni-strut there you have it,, more trunk space when the back seats are not in use.

the ass part is skinny, the back is tall.. that's my problem right now.

not really interested in other car pieces that do this because judging from the floor pans for the rear, they would never work well,, our rear seat area is not flat,,,, then again I suppose it "could" be.

Reply #1
How about leaving the bottom stationary. Create a slotted track with a pivot point on the bottom corners of the rear seat upright and  then create a slotted fastening system at the top rear of the back of the seat so that it can slide up and  come down to lock into position sort of like how some of the shelving units out there fasten together. The back could then be raised up, released from the top slot on the back and then folded forward to lay on top of the seat bottom. Just thinking out loud and roughly based on how I created some luggage space behind the rear seat on a street rod I built about 20 years ago.

Reply #2
I'm sure something could be done with SN95 hardware (they do have folding seats, don't they? I really don't know - if they don't, just ignore this post). Disassemble the SN95 seat back and the T-Bird seat back, and with some creative welding make one out of the two, then reupholster in the T-Bird's soft stuff, nipping and tucking as necessary...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
For what it's worth, hatchback fox mustangs have folding rear seats too...
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #4
Carm..yes, SN95 Stangers have folding seats...except for (obviously) the convertibles. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
we will be doing this mod using our existing seats.
we will use the existing upper back rest tie bars which "hook over" the chassis hooks.
we will add pivot points into the rear wheel wells (pending)
we will modify the upper chassis hooks such that through friction  you pop the seat back rest onto the chassis hooks.
we will omit the chassis "hook" in the center
we will be using the chassis hooks on the pass and driver side only.

this way all you do is pull and push to latch

adding pic updates in my engine resto build out under engine swapping

Reply #8
Nice to see this topic. I was hoping for more discussion for years about the removal of the cross braces behind the seats. Some people mentioned something about them helping general structure, so I stopped cutting mine out. I don't see how welding some stronger beams along the top and sides would be any worse though.

For me, I want them gone for better mounting of infinite-baffle subs.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #9
StandbY

Seems as though boy genius has a plan

Pictures to follow here and in our winter project thread

Reply #10
After looking at the gutted pic, I wondered: why do the seats need to fold down? Why not just put the hinge point on the top, and have the seat flip up? You could even engineer a little set of hatch struts on the sides to keep it open, hehe.

You are limited ultimately by the opening size. I think any fold-down option slightly block the bottom. With a flip-up option, the back would be up and out of the way, and the bottom would be unobstructed.

Just a playful thought.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #11
indeed he does. and that plan was to hold for suspense lol.

these show the basic premise for what im wanting to do. although, im gonna do it with some much heavier duty steel flat bar. i might also weld down the center of the flat bar after i get it bent to see if it adds rigidity. gonna have to play around with the design a little first

Reply #12
dang three image limit..

Reply #13
I like it. What you need is hinge assemblies from either a fox stang, a sn 95 stang or a wagon...
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #14
To answer the question of clearance. When folded, the seat lays relatively flat against the bottom part of the seat, allowing for an almost flat transition to where the trunk starts. Something that surprised me
 I wasn't expecting it to go that smoothly. I think it might have originally been in the body design for a folding rear seat. I know the body was used for a lot of cars, so it might have been an option on one of them.

Regardless, I won't know anything about the transition untill I get some steel to play with and make a final design with.