Skip to main content
Topic: 13K Mi 86 Thunderbird base (Read 1076 times) previous topic - next topic

13K Mi 86 Thunderbird base

Reply #1
Nah, still a v-6. If i dropped that kind of money, should at least be the car i want.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Quote from: Haystack;443364
Nah, still a v-6. If i dropped that kind of money, should at least be the car i want.
Yeah, that's true
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #3
Still a very nice car.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #4
IMHP even with a V6,this 28 year old (one owner car) with only 13,000 miles is a true find and if kept in the shape it is now in, will appreciate accordingly. Now, for fun what it needs is to install a super charger from a mid 90s Super Coupe.
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #5
Quote from: My10-80;443368
Still a very nice car.
+1

The six doesn't help it but what a clean car.:hick:
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #6
The 3.8 isn't as bad as ppl say, many don't know that the switch from carb to CFI increased the torque tremendously.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #7
I've had 4 87 3.8 cars. They aren't bad motors and with an aod do pretty good on gas. Make good daily drivers. The constant downshifting gets old though.

It is still a nice car though. Only a drivetrain swap from being perfect.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #8
I'd hit it. Not for $8k though. The car may be worth it to somebody based on its originality and low miles, but what makes it original also makes it undesirable to me. The 3.8, AOD and 7.5" rear would immediately be swapped for a 5.0 (at least), a manual tranny, and an 8.8, probably from an SN95, which would also mean an upgrade to the front brakes & suspension - I'm thinking tubular K. Some subframe connectors, a strut tower brace, and some strategic strengthening (torque boxes) along with some CHE arms. The gold paint would be ditched for a nice deep candyapple red, which would go well with that sandalwood interior that would remain pretty much stock except a head unit upgrade. A TC front bumper and some lighting upgrades would round out the interior.

All of this would come together to build my perfect T-Bird (those vent windows got me salivating), but it would also destroy everything that makes that an $8k car...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
I'm almost positive this one has the C5 (that's what mine has) I've yet to see an 83-86 V6 with the AOD.

Reply #10
Yeah, you're right - my '85 had the C5. Whatever. My point was that the stock drivetrain would be recycled into Kia engines or something...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
Lol

Reply #12
I'd hit it.
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

Reply #13
In 86 the aod was optional supposedly. I haven't seen one though.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #14
When I see a car like that, I think it'd be nice to just leave it alone and drive it as a commuter/grocery-getter. I have also had several 3.8s. While they won't win any races, they were pretty reliable. I got over 200k on most of them. That being said, I would be in for about $3500, but not $8000, lol.

I wish I lived somewhere that I could buy a nice car like that and just drive it to work every day. With the weather and salt around here, any car you drive is totally rotten in about 5 years. I saw a 2007-ish mustang the other day completely rotted, with big holes in the quarters. That was a little shocking to see, lol.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7