Skip to main content
Topic: Faded raven black cloth seats - any thoughts on redyeing? (Read 2756 times) previous topic - next topic

Faded raven black cloth seats - any thoughts on redyeing?

So I don't have any interior shots, but you can see through the rear window in this photo from the ad on the 88 TC I recently made a deal on ... the tops of the raven black cloth seats are very faded, almost blue now.  This is on the front and rear.

I can probably find some Mustang headrests to swap on the front, but at this point I don't want to get in to recovering the seats or replacing them.  Has anyone had any sort of long or mid-term success using fabric dyes that are available from various sources?  The rest of the car is quite good cosmetically, and the interior is solid as well, no rips or tears and little wear.  So if I could do something about the fading, it would potentially look really great.

thanks,
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #1
All I can say is WOW that never saw a winter did it? Beautiful TC!!!!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
No idea on the fade resto, but i can say that if you ever find a set of Ford seats from that era that aren't faded...they're in someone's basp00get or underground missile silo. LOL

That is one slick TC. Good score. ed shiny paint, too.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
Quote from: fast Ed;443091
........... the tops of the raven black cloth seats are very faded, almost blue now.  This is on the front and rear.
............Has anyone had any sort of long or mid-term success using fabric dyes that are available from various sources?  The rest of the car is quite good cosmetically, and the interior is solid as well, no rips or tears and little wear.  So if I could do something about the fading, it would potentially look really great thanks, Ed

Why would you want to be different than all the rest of us with "fade to blue" raven seats?
LOL
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #4
So nobody has experimented with the Duplicolor or SEM products to see how well they might match? Guess that I'll have to give it a go (in an inconspicuous area first), and report back ...

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #5
Hey Ed,
There was a discussion on here a year or so back when someone with the raven seats used SEM if I remember correctly, and talked about how his seats turned out.
You might be able to find that thread by using the search button & typing in various words to search for it.
Sorry I can't be of much more help for you, but I remember that I decided to live with the fade to blue on our 88s because I didn't like the results, or maybe it was because I didn't know how long it might last on a frequently used seat.
Ron

Reply #6
Just my opinion but I have tried to dye seats/carpet and it has never worked well.  I have also used the spray on carpet paint.  The carpet paint is junk and causes a dust that gets on everything all the time.  If you are handy I would recommend recovering seats.  Sewing up some custom covers and using "hog ring" loop connectors/tool would provide a long lasting permanent solution.
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Reply #7
I wonder if an upholstery shop would be able to dye them for you if you removed the covers.  Cant hurt to call one and see what they have to say.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Quote from: BLKBRD88;443850
Hey Ed,
There was a discussion on here a year or so back when someone with the raven seats used SEM if I remember correctly, and talked about how his seats turned out.
You might be able to find that thread by using the search button & typing in various words to search for it.
Sorry I can't be of much more help for you, but I remember that I decided to live with the fade to blue on our 88s because I didn't like the results, or maybe it was because I didn't know how long it might last on a frequently used seat.
Ron

Ron, I did try a search using various words, but didn't come up with a specific thread relating to the question.  I'll try again, and maybe just try paging back through some of the old threads too.

Thanks for the input everyone.
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #9
Well, I found this thread in the FAQs over on NATO:

http://natomessageboard.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=225425#Post225425

Links to some photobucket before, during, and after pics, using Duplicolor flat black dye.  I think they look pretty good, so even if I can get a couple of years out of refreshing them using this method, that's fine by me.  The car won't be a daily driver, and I'll be trying to park it inside when not in use to keep it out of the sun.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #10
Ed, follow the NATO instructions and you'll be happy.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #11
Quote from: fast Ed;444026
Well, I found this thread in the FAQs over on NATO:

http://natomessageboard.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=225425#Post225425

Links to some photobucket before, during, and after pics, using Duplicolor flat black dye.  I think they look pretty good, so even if I can get a couple of years out of refreshing them using this method, that's fine by me.  The car won't be a daily driver, and I'll be trying to park it inside when not in use to keep it out of the sun.
cheers
Ed

there you go Ed, when you get as old as I am, you can't even remember which forum you read something on......LOL
Ron

Reply #13
cant you just take the fabric off the seats, and dye them like clothing
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook